unknown corals??

adam_kips

i was checkin under on of my rocks for worms and notcied something i'm unsure about and also a coral i'm not sure about. i'm pretty new to the sw thing and i have no idea how to find out about the different types of coral. here is a couple pics. i'd like to know what the clear bubble thing is and also the 2 small corals that are starting to grow underneath it. it wasn't until a couple days ago since i found these that i've been exposing them as best i can to light since i have a mushroom growing on the exact opposite side of the rock. anyways, here are some pics.

unknown2andcoral.jpg

unknown.jpg

The first one is commonly called a club tip anemone. It is a pest anemone similar to aiptasia,mojano. I would kill it with some kalk paste or Joe's Juice. The second one appears to be anthelia, related to xenia..but does'nt pulse.

if i was to place the rock into the substrate so the anemone couldn't get any light or pretty much nothing else, would that cause it to die? or could i just put a layer of tank silicone over it?

I would'nt trust it upside down or with a plug, it may find a way out through another hole in the rock. They can move at will. Another option is to take the rock to the sink and get a small concentrated stream of hot water going into the hole..it will flush him out.

Lots of people keep ball anemones with no trouble, I don't think they're pests -- AFAIK they don't multiply, wander or sting like Aiptasia. Personally I'd keep it, I think they're beautiful.

Back