Unknown Polyp?

BluDevil

I bought this rock about two weeks ago, and noticed this stange looking polyp (I think) on it. Anyone ever seen something like this?

68331Unknown.jpg
68331Unknown2.jpg
68331Unknown3.jpg
68331unknown4.jpg

I can see where you are coming from thinking that it is aptaisia, but I really don't think it is. Anyone else?

It looks like a baby zoo sprouting?If it was Aiptasia I think your Zoo would be closed from the stinging.

Curly-Cue Anemone (Bartholomea annulata)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1703

"The Curly-Cue Anemone, also known as the Trumpet or Rock Anemone, is a member of the Aiptasiidae family. They are found in the Mediterranean and Eastern Atlantic Ocean, most common from Plymouth to the Gulf of Guinea. The body is opaque amber with yellowish-white spots. The tentacles turn brown to brown/violet as they go away from the body, are translucent and have spots"
LiveAquaria.com

It could be an anemone, but the one thing that makes me think differently is the zoa polyp is fully extended.
If it were a stinging anemone the zoas around it would be closed.
Yet it doesn't appear to have enough tentacles to be a zoa.
:confused:

Curly Cue Anemones are much bigger than that. Even when they reproduce, they split and the new one is much bigger than that. I dont know what this "polyp" is, but I have seen them before and assumed it was some sort of anemone.

I have no clue what it is ......let it grow out (as long as it is not stinging anything), then give it another shot at iding it.

Kill Kill Kill..
That's all I hear. :)

I got advice like that before... but, maybe just keep your eye on it? If you see it doing harm, or moving, or reproducing quickly... then take action, but until then it may be neat to see what it ends up becoming.
That way you can learn something out of this. I don't mean that condescendingly... I understand a concern of spreading, but it won't happen in exponential proportions while you're sleeping. And if you were looking closely enough to notice it, I doubt you'd have it reproducing uncontrollably without seeing it and being able to nip it in the bud.
Anyway, I was told to kill these by some people... but I really think they're pretty. And in the two months I've had them, only one more has reproduced. I've decided to put them in my sump, and see how fast they grow. So far, not very. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6855980#post6855980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stephany
Oh yeah. Like I said, these haven't presented a problem so far.
12-30-05032.jpg

Kill em now before it's too late........ No really I had some the only problem is they moved around to much for me but they do look nice.

I had one of those on my live rock that I got from Tonga, and the fact it survived ammonia levels that went completely off the testing chart lead me to worry. Although it never split, it never divided, infact under actinics it did fluoresce a bit, then one day it just wasn't there anymore. I wouldn't worry about it personally unless you start seeing more than one though or it stings your zoos into submission.

Since 12-30.
I have since moved them to my sump, just in case they did reproduce. I was also recommended to put them in a glass, so that if they did reproduce it would be controlled. That way if they did move.. they wouldn't just pop up in wierd places. I didn't want to look at the glass in my main tank, so that's why I moved them.
All I'm saying, is that I personally don't see a plague of his small _______ overcoming his tank overnight. :) And give him a different perspective...

They've been half buried more than once in sand (engineer goby) before and didn't move. They are hardy, and didn't melt in a day or anything after that. They have stretched up a bit more, but I don't believe they're able to move. They're not colonial either. You can see they're solitary in the pic.

Stephany,

You would be shocked to see how fast and far these suckers can move!:eek1:

God forbid one got sucked into your return pump! It would puree into MANY new anemonies that would then be evenly distributed around your reef tank.

Be careful.;)
Bill

Back