upgrade tek 4x39 to sunpod?

netboy

After days of searching and reading I decided that posting this question would give me a better answer. I have a 50 gal tank which is 36" long along with a 20 gal sump/fuge. I currently have a TEK 4x39 fixture and I want to ultimately end up having sps and other high light corals. So here is what I am looking at. A 150x2 MH sunpod by Current or a 250x2 with T5 supplements Aquamedic ocean light. My main concern is if the sunpod is going to be enough and whether or not the Aquamedic is going to be overkill. I am also a little concerned about heat. I live in central cali and the summers here are not the coolest.

Thanks,
Thien

4x39 non overdriven is enough? I always was under the assumption that it was not enough, or at least not enough to make SPS happy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8289276#post8289276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by netboy
4x39 non overdriven is enough? I always was under the assumption that it was not enough, or at least not enough to make SPS happy.

on a 50g tank, that should be enough for SPS, and you should be able to get decent growth with the right bulb setup....

I have the same fixture on my 38g. My SPS love it! Acros, Milleporas, Monti Caps & Digi, Torts, etc. No problems, great coloration. Just not a lot of polyp extension during "daylight" Hours. I think they are actually a little bright! I run the following setup:
AB+
Actinic
AB+

All Giesemann Bulbs. Have been really happy with them, though alot of people here say they are junk and I should use ATI and GE!

Back