Upgrading my lighting

Treed

Okay so Im getting ready to set up my 180 gallon. Im wanting to replace my old spider reflectors with something better. There are a lot of choices and need some help figuring out which one would work best for me. It will be a standard 180 gallon (72x24x24). This tank will be SPS dom. with some clams(maybe). Im looking at the LumenBrights but there are a few different ones as well as the LumenMax. I have an exsisting canopy(it can be moved up and down if need be because it does hang from the ceiling) I will be putting the new reflectors in I think I have 15 inches between the sets of T5's(canopy has 4 T5s on each side for a total of 8 T5s for supplements). So other than the reflectors Im also looking at ballast. Im was thinking the Lumatek Ballast but not sure if these are good(Would like them if I was to decide to use them on the 400W setting)? Would like input on which combo to get, as well as what you guys use. Thanks!

My setup includes LumenMax 3 with Lumatek ballast and Phoenix Bulbs. Great growth, good color, and plenty of light at the bottom for clams.

Good luck in your selection.

Lumenbright Mini's about 12-15" over the water would work nicely. The bulbs and ballast should match, so it depends on what bulbs you want to run. I personally like Radium 250w 20K and Phoenix 250w 14K on M80 ballasts, these are a bluish-white bulb with high PAR/PPFD. You can run them on the electronic ballasts, but you won't get near as much pop in your colors (to your eyes).

Thanks for the responses, anyone else? Im thinking Ill run a single end bulb. Whats the difference between the LumenMax 2 and the LumenMax Elite other than size? What height should they be hung at? Thanks!

Back