Upgrading to Larger Tank

brendanwp

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but wanted to see if my situation was any different. I currently have a 30 gallon AIO. I do not run a skimmer and do not have corals. I have 4 fish, 2 sea stars and 1 large starfish. (The starfish survives in the small tank because my 11 yr old daughter hand feeds it daily ahha). I have live rock from Tampa Bay Live Rock. Never had any issues with levels, change out about 5 gallons a month and top off with distilled water. I moved the tank 1 time to get new floors and followed this procedure with no issues: Put all the rock and livestock into buckets. Drained (and kept the water) the tank so the water just covered the sand. It was like this for 1 day and I got it all back in with some new water and everything was fine. It may have cycled, but nothing died, so I don't know.

I am moving to a new apartment and see this as my chance to step up to a 60 - 70 gallon tank. Ideally, I would like to do this in 1 move rather then move the current tank then start up another tank and wait for a cycle. My thought was the following:

- Drain the old tank, keep the water and rock
- Add new sand to the new tank (suggestions on the sand welcome)
- Add in the old rock and old water
- Add new Tampa Live Rock and purchased salt water (same brand I have been using for the last 3 yrs)

I realize there is no "shortcutting" in this hobby, but I in people's opinion....will I lose my fish (2 clowns, manderin, striped blenny) and inverts?

Thanks,

I would think you will be fine
Either a 75 or 90 for more depth, both same length.
Sand - from Premium Aquatics Tropic Eden

Back