UPS Power Inverter

Two questions:
Will a normal car battery work for this application?
Are there cheaper alternative brands, or lower-power systems? I don't need 500W to keep my pump and powerheads going.

Thanks!

MY backup system

MY backup system

I have the tripplite system connected to a 120amp hour power brand 12 volt battery. I have a 26 watt Jemcho linear air pump plugged into the inverter. The airpump is 26 watts. I estimate that the pump would run for 50 hours in an emergency. I have the following tanks with the following air stones hooked up
220 gallon reef with 4 airstones, 2 large and 2 small
120 gallon reef with 3 large airstones
240 gallon reef with 2 large airstones
60 gallon seahorse tank with 1 airstone
120 gallon discus tank with large airstone

They all bubble pretty well and create a lot of surface tension. I have not had to use the system so far. I am thinking of adding another 120 ah battery since there have been a few long blackouts lately although I live in midtown manhattan and have never had one over 18 hours

Additionally I bought 16 of the little battery operated pumps to use after my backup system fails if there was a long blackout. However I remain skeptical that the amount of air they pump could maintain a 6' 27" deep reef tank even if you used 3 or 4 of them. They do not appear to pump much and you have to place them high in the tank. I do like the idea that they only take two D cells which I could get as opposed to trying to drag the large car battery somewhere to recharge (I live on 30th floor).

I wonder if anyone has ever run just an air system for a week or more. Obviously the corals will not like it but will probably be ok without light. I do wonder about the air stones being enough. I would love to hear from anyone who really used such an emergency system for more than a day or 2 and see what happened and not just discussing theory

Back