Urchin ID, please

razord

Hello,
I've had this guy in my tank for a few months. He came with my TBS LR. Seems to not bother anything and just work around the same few rocks. Can someone ID what type of urchin I have? and anything that I should know about having it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Urchin.JPG
    Urchin.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
+1, purple sea urchin. Never owned one, but they move about the rocks looking for algae AFAIK.

I think they're reef safe, similar to a black longspine. They might get a little destructive in searching for algae, but harmless to most everything else. Although, I'm still not 100% sure, so hopefully someone who has kept one will chime in.

I have 18 of these that came with my TBS rock about 8 months ago. On his website Richard just calls them black urchins -- but they are certainly purple in the right light. One was medium sized -- the others all half an inch or less. Now they are all 2+ inches. They work hard keeping the rock clean. I've never seen them harm anything. Mine welcomed us back from vacation three days ago by all spawning!

My urchin looks just like that from my TBS rock. It roams the rock eating coralline algae. I do see it try the walls and other surfaces on occasion, but when hungry, it will crew on my rock for sure.

I did find a new small one. I wonder if it had a baby... ;-)

Back