Uronema or Gram Negative infection?

Ryanjp93

Hello everyone,

I have had my tank (120g with sump) for about a year now. In the last few months I have lost a male lyretail anthia, tricolor fairy wrasse, and a tricolor fairy wrasse. Originally I though I was losing these fish to Uronema but I am now thinking that it may be a gram negative infection. All of the fish had no noticeable symptoms until they presented with a white spot behind one of the fins and then died 24 hours later. They would all eat and I treated with metro/focus and I would do a 10 minute dip in hydroplex to try and kill off any parasites.

All of the other fish in the tank (2 clown fish, yellow tang, 4 fire fish, diamond goby, yellow goby, mandarin goby, valentini puffer, and lantern bass) are all fine and have been for the few months that this has been going on.

Normally the fish that present with this die within a week of being introduce to the tank. The latest fish (tricolor fairy wrasse) has been in the tank for a couple of months and has now died. This past weekend the tank did jump from 78 to 81 degrees over the weekend while I was away so I am wondering if stress may make the fish susceptible to whatever it is that is killing them.

This is my first post so let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help you better understand my situation.

I have attached a picture below and the tricolor fairy wrasse with the sore behind it's fin. It is the best picture I could get while it was alive.

c7aac88978aad38ddb923319f370350b.jpg

Thank you for the advice in advance!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry the three fish I lost were a male lyretail anthia, tricolor fairy wrasse, and a strawberry pseudochromis.

What you want is a broad-spectrum antibiotic: meaning it treats both gram positive AND gram negative. However, antibiotics vary and gram negative is spottily covered even by that rate as broad spectrum. Antibiotics can also blitz your sandbed and send you back to a cycle, worst case scenario: withdrawing the fish to a treatment tank would be the best choice; and meanwhile do a 30% water change in the display followed in a few days with a 20%, which MIGHT lower the density of bacterial stuff left behind. You might also treat the tank with a slime production aid, to enable fish skins to be healthier. And I'd also ask how are your parameters. Letting your alkalinity sink (I prefer a dkh of 8.3 for safety in both directions) sets your fish up for skin infections. If you can't get it to rise, check your magnesium: I prefer 1350 for that reading. If your test kit only gives you color match, I recommend Salifert, which gives you mostly plain hard numbers on a scale.

It sounds like you think it is gram negative and not Uronema?

Here are my tank parameters since January.

177448a374b1f0b7892d3eafe62290c6.jpg

Also, the fish that displayed symptoms have died already. I am just trying to figure out what it is and how to treat it so that I do not have anymore fish die from whatever is causing this issue.

Back