Used Apex buying guide

djryan2000

I'm considering buying a used apex as I'm having trouble with my Finnex temperature controller and have read a lot of negative reviews about other temp controllers in the market. I figured the temp controller will be useful as well as the pH probe considering I plan on heavily stocking my tank with SPS and using the Aquamaxx calcium reactor.

I've read to make sure the probes aren't dried out - does that mean to not even consider ads where it shows the whole unit on a table? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes people save the caps and store the probes wet. Other then thst make sure it works lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I could be wrong but i think the ph probe is the only one they needs to stay wet. If the price is right just replace the dry probe.

I think it’s in the Manual in how to store each probe. You can get the manual on there site and check out what it says

Used Apex buying guide

A pH probe and orp probe should be wet. But Neptune recommended you change to probes out annually. I my self usually use a probe for about 2 years or if the probe needs recalibrated often. I buy calibration fluids I bulk and try to check all pH probes monthly if not bi-monthly depending on the probes age. I use 2 pH probes one on the tank and another on a calcium reactor. I treat the pH probe on the calcium reactor with more importance the the probe on the tank. The way I run my calcium reactor is with pin point accuracy so to me that measurement is more important then the other. Yes tank pH is important but I'm not the type to chase a number when it comes to pH

But yes apex is a great product. One of the pluses is you can add on to it if you budget doesn't allow you to go baller in it now. Over the years I've bought Modules and outlets over time. My apex classic is running 2 pm1 modules, 1 pm2 module, 4 eb8, 1 eb4, and multiples of breakout boxes and switches. My apex classic is running my 150g mixed reef, a 30g fish quarantine, a 20g coral quarantine, and the ro/di system with 2 55g barrels

Last edited:
I have Apex and two PH probes and ORP. One ph probe is for the tank and the other in my CA reactor. The only one I pay attention to is the CA reactor. And I only react to unusual movement and am not concerned about the number. I calibrate ORP monthly. PH probes only when I think something may be wrong

Back