Using Ozone

Ed Kazz

Hi,

I have some equipment laying around that I would like to use... Tank was set up for over 20 years ago (180 w/ 100 gal refugium) and I would like to hook up the old ozone generator (ozotech oz2pcs). I forgot how to hook this up. I have the air dryer, air pump, reactor ,ORP controller... BUT want to inject the ozone into my ETSS skimmer. I know this is good older equipment and want to use it... Just like to know if anyone has done this???

Thanks
Ed

Hi,

I have some equipment laying around that I would like to use... Tank was set up for over 20 years ago (180 w/ 100 gal refugium) and I would like to hook up the old ozone generator (ozotech oz2pcs). I forgot how to hook this up. I have the air dryer, air pump, reactor ,ORP controller... BUT want to inject the ozone into my ETSS skimmer. I know this is good older equipment and want to use it... Just like to know if anyone has done this???

Thanks
Ed
I used to run ozone on my 140 gallon tank but that was a long time ago. I ran it through a HSA skimmer and had the water flow through a large basket of carbon. I had an ORP controller that I used to control the ozone generator.

I used to run ozone on my 140 gallon tank but that was a long time ago. I ran it through a HSA skimmer and had the water flow through a large basket of carbon. I had an ORP controller that I used to control the ozone generator.
Why did you discontinue using ozone?

Hi,

Thanks
Ed
You can but your talking about a 20 year system, sure Ozone, but will that destabilize the chemistry when introduced. Nutrients will drop, so will algae population, if that’s what you need then Ozone is an option.
What’s your goal, what effect are you looking for. Do you need better water clarity and filtering?
Careful.

You can but your talking about a 20 year system, sure Ozone, but will that destabilize the chemistry when introduced. Nutrients will drop, so will algae population, if that’s what you need then Ozone is an option.
What’s your goal, what effect are you looking for. Do you need better water clarity and filtering?
Careful.
The water always has a yellow tint to it ... even after doing water changes and running carbon. I have this laying around and just got a new PH/ORP controller and probes so I thought I will try it...

If your talking about a new system, go right ahead, OZone makes VERY clear waters, yellow tint is common, but I’ve never heard a case where GAC doesn’t mop that up. Best to run GAC in a reactor and change monthly.

If your talking about a 20 year old (successful) system with a coral load, I think OZone is a very bad idea.
To employ any new system in this type of environment can lead to less than desirable results.

Stability is KING.

If your talking about a new system, go right ahead, OZone makes VERY clear waters, yellow tint is common, but I’ve never heard a case where GAC doesn’t mop that up. Best to run GAC in a reactor and change monthly.

If your talking about a 20 year old (successful) system with a coral load, I think OZone is a very bad idea.
To employ any new system in this type of environment can lead to less than desirable results.

Stability is KING.
Currently only have fish (no coral). I thought run the ozone than after a few weeks start adding coral. Only shooting for a softy tank.

Currently only have fish (no coral). I thought run the ozone than after a few weeks start adding coral. Only shooting for a softy tank.
I’m just not sure what role ozone would play in a new tank.
Softy tank likes a higher nutrient tank and the ozone will contribute to lowering that.
I put softies in only when I have stable nutrients, available in trace amounts, and neither one, ever reaching zero.
When water chemistry is solid, the formation of increased populations of the good guy bacterium happen faster, leaving less area for the bad guys.
At that point your nitrates and phosphates stay at their individual levels, meaning, what goes in, comes out.
Now I add softies.
When I can do the same thing for Alk, CA and MG….then comes anything except acros.
Acros, I leave these to dead last, for me it was 14 months.
Start simple, let Mother Nature do her thing.

Thanks for all your help...I will shelf the ozone. Just had very bad luck with corals in the past and want to try again. Like I said tank going for over 20 years never could get corals to grow. Fish never a problem...

Thanks for all your help...I will shelf the ozone. Just had very bad luck with corals in the past and want to try again. Like I said tank going for over 20 years never could get corals to grow. Fish never a problem...
Was the tank ever treated with copper? Or perhaps try an ICP test to see if you have a heavy metal concentration of anything like tin or aluminum or similar

Was the tank ever treated with copper? Or perhaps try an ICP test to see if you have a heavy metal concentration of anything like tin or aluminum or similar
I tried for over a year to grow corals and had every local fish store owner look at the tank ... no luck.
TEMP 77
PH 8.3
Alk 10dkh
Nitrate <1
Phos <.3
Calcium 450
Mag 1400
Tank was new when I bought it ....No Copper
At the time I was buying entire large colonies (acropora,lps,sps). would look great then slowly die or bleach out?
Corals were spot fed and lighting Reef breeders led.
I am trying it again and starting slow...

I tried for over a year to grow corals and had every local fish store owner look at the tank ... no luck.
TEMP 77
PH 8.3
Alk 10dkh
Nitrate <1
Phos <.3
Calcium 450
Mag 1400
Tank was new when I bought it ....No Copper
At the time I was buying entire large colonies (acropora,lps,sps). would look great then slowly die or bleach out?
Corals were spot fed and lighting Reef breeders led.
I am trying it again and starting slow...

Buy or rent a par meter. LEDs are surprisingly high par.

Back