Valentini Puffer speared by food

Well the title kind of explains the situation I just had to deal with. I was feeding my tanks with some LRS reef frenzy nano (I've been using it for the past few weeks and it's a great product!! I just thought I'd share this story because I've never heard of this happening) and it seems my puffer had gotten a little spear of what I could only assume was a little piece of shrimp tail caught in his lip with a nice chunk of food stuck to the "spear". At first I thought he was just kind of chilling with it so the other fish didn't get his chunk of food but after about 15 minutes he still had it. At this point I noticed he was thrashing around and darting everywhere. After realizing his mouth was open and that the food was still attached to him, I proceeded to perform the following procedure on him.

1. I caught him with a two inch net and blocked the opening of the net with the wall of the tank because I didn't want to take the risk of pulling him out and having him puff up outside of the tank.

2. I positioned him to where his mouth was between the rim of the net and the glass gently ( I never applied pressure to any part of him except nudging him towards the rim of the net).

3. I then got a good look at the piece of food and realized I would not be able to pull it out from where the food had poked through on the outside so i had to open his mouth a bit and I used a good pair of my fragging tweezers to pull the spear out from the inside of his lip.

4. I let him go with the spear now out.

He puffed up twice during the whole thing. Once just a bit and the other was what i'd assume was completely (I've never seen him puff up before so those are "about" guesses). It took about 2 minutes from start to finish.

My questions are:
Did I handle that correctly in your opinion or was there a better course of action ?
Is there anything I can do to help the hole in his lip heal?

Wow that was incredible. I can't imagine what else to do. At this point, watch for infection. Maybe someone can suggest preventive care. I say good job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that had to be terrible. I had a puffer years ago and I hated the few times it did puff up. I'm not sure what else you could have done to come out with a better outcome.

Wow that had to be terrible. I had a puffer years ago and I hated the few times it did puff up. I'm not sure what else you could have done to come out with a better outcome.

Joined in 2007 and just started posting this week?
Welcome to RC I guess.. :celeb1: :)

Haven't had a tank in about 10 years

Haven't had a tank in about 10 years

Joined in 2007 and just started posting this week?
Welcome to RC I guess.. :celeb1: :)

Tells me that when I had a tank before I was more active in another forum. Maybe reef frontiers?......Too long ago to remember exactly or even care :). My brother does construction and came across a nice tank for 0 dollars........I will be bringing it back online as a reef tank in time.

Back