various dips

Dustin07

Might be a little redundant but years ago the only dip I recall doing was a brief freshwater dip. I am seeing advice on various over the counter products, hydrogen peroxide, etc, and I need to learn more about this. Especially since I am zoa-centric at the moment, I have some frags I want to try dipping to see if there are pests on them, or if it's debris, or some other issue, but I could use some advice.

I have also read about a bayer dip...

can anyone provide me some options or advice on the topic? 95% of my tank is very healthy, but I have a couple zoa frags that have stayed closed long enough that I'm ready to experiment with 'next steps'.

thanks!

I do not dip unless I need to..

I have a small 4.14 gallon all in one aquarium that I got for 60 bucks. I got a small heater and used Kessil light.
I observe everything for several months. I have dips if need be.
Seems to me more gets through with just dipping because it does not necessarily kill everything or eggs get through.
Most think dipping once is enough and it is not.

this one sure looks interesting to me. probably because it specifically mentioned spiders... lol

1709231635950.png

I do not dip unless I need to..

I'm at a point with a few frags, well like 2, that they've been closed up long enough that I'm willing to give it a try. I have no problem letting a zoa sit closed for quite some time as I watch it's shape develop. my utter chaos for instance are very very slowly showing a little progress every week so I don't think I'd dip them. whereas I have a blowpops frag that is looking the other direction where more polyps appear to be closing rather than opening and it might be time to try dipping it...

My issue with the Bayer dip is twofold.

1 - the stuff is nasty, no matter who says it isn't.
2 - you never know when/if the formula changes, and those companies DO change formuli based on many factors and only update the ingredients, often without any other changes to labeling.

I use Revive and sometimes iodine based dips. I don't know if they are as effective, but I feel safer personally and for my family and think they protect the tank better than no dip at all with minimal risk using them.

Back