Vodka Carbon Dosing Actually Works!

I totally agree, my phosphates are high!! It was up at 3.0 so this is a massive improvement.
I had hoped the vodka would assist in bringing the Po4 down but the coral
Which was thriving went to nothing in the space of 5 days since adding the vodka.
But yes, it could by general water quality but seems to coincidental to be water quality when the coral has been fine until the vodka was added!!

I've done a 15% water change this evening and I'm stopping the vodka. I'm going back to water changes and potentially buying a Po4 reactor now.

Don't rush it. Let it settle for a few days.

Let me understand this right. You had NO3 registering 5 ppm and PO4 at .75 ppm when you started dosing vodka?

I agree with going slow. The lower your nutrients go the lower you want alkalinity in my eyes.
I think our alk kits are lying to us personally.

Water Quality

Water Quality

Thanks again.

So about 6 weeks ago No3 was 50ppm and Po4 was 3ppm. Tank then went fallow and with water changes and gravel cleaning I got it down to No3 5ppm and Po4 .75 yes...
That's when I started vodka dosing as I was looking for a long term method as I felt the levels had got low quickly due to minimal bioload.

Once I reached 0.2ml of vodka per 25g, the No3 was 5ppm and Po4 was .5ppm. That's when the SPS completely bleached. The skimmer was working amazingly and the clarity was better, everything else seemed to be thriving.

Maybe I should have only started vodka when I had fish in the system?!

I admit, I haven't tested the Alk and maybe this was affected due to the carbon dosing?! Calcium has been a steady 400-450 throughout, I know that much.

Alkilinty test kit is the next thing I'll purchase.
I tend to use Salifert test kits, I'll get their Alk one today.

Alkilinty test kit is the next thing I'll purchase.
I tend to use Salifert test kits, I'll get their Alk one today.

Alkalinity

Alkalinity

So, I'm now on a path to use Kalkwasser. This is a first for me
But I noticed my Alk was a little low and the Calcium was less than anticipated, very much depend upon my water changes for Calcium historically. I figured Kwasser was the answer in my ATO.

Would you guys recommend trying vodka again once I am more stable with Alk and Ca?
I admit to being a little scared of it using vodka now. Although things were going great at one stage right up until I lost my one eps in 36hrs

Kalk is ok to great. I hate it for personal reasons but it works for sure.
Vodka or any carbon source is relative to your individual tank. It works great. It is reliable but you can't go by a chart no matter how awesome the chart maker is. If you have measurable nitrate when you get stable start really slow. A tenth of a ml in a small tank. 1 ml in a big tank. (180-300) . You can always add more. Very hard to take away too much once added. Do not up the dose for any reason any sooner than 4 to 5 days. You will not save the life of anything in a week by adding more carbon source.
Many times when you add "things" you see absolutely no change for at least 3 days. So you wait 4.

Thanks Rob

Thanks Rob

Ps, Kh is 7.7 Alk 2.76 - both of these are the be addressed with Kalk in ATO. What would be the minimal level of Alk before starting carbon dosing again or is it just being stable?

Is that dkh at 7.7? If so that is a very good number depending on which kit you use. Water off the coast of Hawaii last week tested 6.7 with my Salifert kit and 7.5 with my Hanna checker.
You are not likely to be able to get a flat line on your parameter when things are going well because as corals get larger your tank will consume more. A slow drift between adjustments is the best you can hope for. I test alk almost everyday and still struggle to stay steady.
If you see a large drop or increase you should test again before trying to correct something.

Back