Vortech mp10 settings in 28g Nano

kevin21

I just recently purchased a Vortech MP10 for my JBJ 28g nano. In addition of the two stock return pumps, I had 2 Koralia 240s running facing each other to create disturbance in the water. I hate the look, as the koralias really do take up space and are an eye sore.

So I picked up an MP10. Do any of you run them on your nano? What setting do you keep yours set at?

I have a mixed reef of LPS and softies, with a pair of clowns, a purple pseudochromis, and a flame hawkfish. I am torn between reef lagoon, reef crest, long pulse, or just a constant speed setting. What is a good percentage to use? 50%? I do not want to blow out my corals!

Thanks for any input guys. I know that is a lot of questions, but figure someone here as some good experience of using these in a nano.

I ran with one MP10 for about 6 months, until I noticed my acropora were bending into the flow instead of creating "colonies", then I added a second.

With one pump, I ran it at about 85%, on reef crest random mode. With two pumps now, I run at about 40-45%, usually reef crest random, though right now I'm testing reef lagoon which is one of the special programs that makes the two pumps alternate their flow.

With LPS and softies, I'd try to keep the flow in the 40-50% range, and it might take a while of slow adjusting to get there.

For me, one of the best things about the higher flow of the MP10, is that I believe it keeps detritus in suspension longer, which leads to it either being eaten, or being skimmed out, much more than if you had a lower flow tank, which helps keep your nitrates down.

I would keep a second pump running across from the MP10 if possible, with them either facing each other, or with the second pump somehow breaking into the flow of the MP10, so that it creates lots of random fluctuations, which is the holy grail of wavemaking/flow.

I would just start low and keep adjusting it upwards until the corals aren't happy, then dial it back down. Hope that helps!

Thanks! Definitely helps. I was thinking no more than 50%. I can keep one of the koralia pumps on the other side of the vortech for sure. With the stock returns and two koralia I still have some dead spots that I constantly try to muck up and suck out during water changes. I notice settled detritus straight in the center of my barebottom and also in the back corners. I know this is what causes my nitrates to spike between water changes. Hoping the vortechs power helps me alleviate some of these issues!

Back