Wait to add coral ?

JVD BVI

My tank is only about 6 weeks old, added live rock so its fully cycled. Have a cleanup crew and a pair of clowns.

Parameters are all good and I would like to start adding coral, only issue is the macro and micro algea covering most of my rock work.

I think I literally have a bit of every type of algae known to man. should I wait until the micro and some of the macro algae subsides before adding coral ?

Any thoughts.......here is a picture

I added corals drags 2 weeks into mine lol shame on me but it was fully cycled . I still have those frags now (colonies now)

ff44f122502e75c5ca5f0a1253847bfa.jpg

You got the cycle uglies!! My tank you couldn't see anything past the algae on the glass . Put a small frag and keep an eye on it if you want to give it a try.

No expert but i would wait a little longer and let that algae die off so I could concentrate on corals not outbreaks.

I already have a few margarita and turbos plus an urchin for the macro but no one is doing there jobs....LOL

Try 3 days of darkness followed by a 10 gallon water change. Then I would use some sort of phosphate remover like chemipure elite or gfo in a reactor, two little fishes makes one that can hang on the back if you don't have a sump.

Just ease up on the feeding,light cycle and be patient. Need more info to pinpoint cause.What type of filtration do you have? Water changes and type of water used in them? +1 on the focus on Algae first then enjoy corals. Adding more life of any sort (blennies, crabs, etc.) will add to your bio load so just chill. On a positive note, nice looking tank.

What everyone else said on waiting. Try to avoid adding fish to cure a root problem. I'd look at Scarlett hermits. If it's a new tank, look at upping your cycle with some bacteria additives to start eating your ammonia and turning it to nitrites. If you've got hair algae, that means phosphates.

h3cVoFOZXzlMdU84UQDfkMKxGdF7WHjejDAboahOhkhIE1MqZb2w31Jr7F5S0rLEk4104NeuvZsoMYWkYG_ofJQYe5L27Aya0KEI3sc7NHTxtN6F3yPh7KtwquGEcipFOQfYeFSZUBpSqTv4OA5ByRqoY-9RS6P00CbY6D76jUoTci0BOaDh_xVc-ixk0z5o4Fy22oIxr38FGpGVShQ7A49Gn00tb8Rol1rYnYR3OS6kTt5DsNs_BaObfHxT13hTyu9XjAPffr2h6iNqIKfA4MSLwkH4oHE4CAgrer0AJz0OxySehLzYichkVJZyImZYtU_5yppa8nEKuqoDHhgNBx-gkCKcXJImqATxmjb83U0NvS-T96-rWLYrLP793qQRYhRNRDQ3KR3cYtuE_LHaE8rC0dKdRcW216Bf72GRzouoSEspNOLIubANqDBqe1WgcFsqEGiiDfuWY5El5yVY6DSwp7VgiExjTyIiEmWYLmr_NYOIirGe9532tJRFA3HbiU4vE4urKesETRDMBKf5dKGzQ73-ACcuOhKCnvrhg8c=w362-h643-no

Polka Dot Hermit - Carribean species, uses the little claw like a non-stop lawnmower when grazing.

Picked mine up from Barrier Reef in Naples - I have not seen them for sale in any LFS here but you could always ask.

wow. I have never seen such an ugly cycle. Sorry don't mean to be rude, but that is bad. In all honesty, I would find someone that could give my livestock a home for a while and start over. It may be simpler to start over in that size tank than to try and chase this around. Just my two cents.

wow. I have never seen such an ugly cycle. Sorry don't mean to be rude, but that is bad. In all honesty, I would find someone that could give my livestock a home for a while and start over. It may be simpler to start over in that size tank than to try and chase this around. Just my two cents.

Not sure if you have been in this hobby long, but what I have going on is pretty normal for a new tank. I am barely 6 weeks into a new tank.

Been in this hobby for quite a few years and have had much worse problems than this. :)

definitely wait and find the root of the problem, if it is over feeding or phosphates from top off water then the algae will continue to bloom and any frags you add will probably be covered by the algae and start to die off.

Back