Want to add T5's to LED's for SPS tank

MrsReefK

Hey guys,

I've researched and still not feeling confident on what I should do for lighting. We are running a 290 gallon hex flat back SPS only tank. Our frags have blossomed into colonies and we are experiencing the dreaded shading and believe that T5's will help matters with supplementing the current LED's.

Dims: 8' x 30" tall x 24 front to back
Current lights: 4 Radion XR30W. 2 wide lens, 2 normal (gen 3).
Current issues: shading at the bottom of colonies

I added some pics of our DT and how we have the lights hung. (Pic was concentrating on our DIY nori clips, not the lights, but you get the idea). I can get better pics of the current lighting if you'd like.

Looking for your advice on several things, I have researched but still feel like I'm just not getting it maybe?

1. What T5 units do you suggest (and why)? Mid level and upper level would be great!

2. What length unit should I get for the 8' tank?

3. What size unit in terms of bulb count?

4. How in the world do I choose what bulbs to buy?

5. Seeing the current lighting, we will be hanging from the ceiling. Will I need to move my current Radions? Or what do you think for layout of lights? I would really prefer not to move them, but it is possible.

Appreciate the help! We're starting to get into higher end SPS versus the more "œbeginners" we have now, and would love to get the new T5's up and running.

0af6ee5329082ceb58ac7646ab6256ca.jpg

96188abc1e052f6a960d739b888b07b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added two two bulb 4 ft t5 fixtures to my 120. I have have 2 gen 3 radions in the center and the t5 on the outsides. I used blue plus bulbs. My growth has exploded.

I added two two bulb 4 ft t5 fixtures to my 120. I have have 2 gen 3 radions in the center and the t5 on the outsides. I used blue plus bulbs. My growth has exploded.

How long is your 120? What T5 fixture did you buy?

So this brings up another question I have. Are T5's typically ran "œoutside" or "œinside" with LED's? I assumed they'd both be ran the length of the tank parallel the entire length? Is that not usual?

Want to add T5's to LED's for SPS tank

No one else has advice on T5's? I know quite a few of you are running them, can you help me out with some advice, please?

When I had my 8' 240 gal tank I added LET Miro-4 retro kits to my kessil a360s. I installed the 48" units and ran end to end to cover the length of the tank with 2 bulbs in front of leds and 2 bulbs behind (total of 8 48" bulbs).
On my new 270g tank 72" x 36" x 24" I am running a 60" 8 bulb ATI sunpower in the middle with 3 kessils in front angled in and 2 (soon to be 3) behind.

You can run the t-5 either in the middle or outside the leds, just depends on what fixtures you want to use.
In your case I would run the radions down the middle with a couple bulbs in front and behind. The LET retro kits may be challenging to mount in your case, unless you mount them to a board or something and hang that. There are other brands out that are easier to hang as well.

I would do like don said and use 4ft bulbs and hang 4 in front of the leds and 4 behind
Retro fit ones would work being behind the wall fixtures would be more expensive I would think. I like how everything is hidden behind the wall, I wanna ad t5s to my setup but don’t want so much hanging out over the tank

I have a similar (smaller) version 60x20x18 with 3 AI Hydra 26. I run 2 T5 in front and 2 behind the hydras B+C+ LED C+ B+. Bulb choice can vary, personal preference,as can your lighting duration.

I matched up T5s with my Kessils over my 120g. I had 2 bulbs on the front and two on the back. 2 on each side give you more flexibility in color adjustment. I used a blend of Purple Plus (1 or 2), Blue Plus (1 or 2) and Aquablue Special(1). You can get some good retrofits to hang them behind your canopy and you'll be good to go.

For the front of the Radions nearest to the shorter dimension of the front of the tank, I’d hang this 60” 80 watt twin t5 unit...

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_82_84&product_id=84

Behind the Radions toward the back of the display along the 8’ length I’d hang two of these 48” 54 watt twin T5 units end to end.

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_82_84&product_id=83

As far as bulb choice, from front to back, I’d go

80 watt ATI Blue Plus
80 watt ATI Coral Plus

Radions

2 x 54 watt ATI Coral Plus
2 x 54 watt ATI Blue Plus

For the back

Last edited:
For the front of the Radions nearest to the shorter dimension of the front of the tank, I'd hang this 60" 80 watt twin t5 unit...

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_82_84&product_id=84

Behind the Radions toward the back of the display along the 8' length I'd hang two of these 48" 54 watt twin T5 units end to end.

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_82_84&product_id=83

As far as bulb choice, from front to back, I'd go

80 watt ATI Blue Plus
80 watt ATI Coral Plus

Radions

2 x 54 watt ATI Coral Plus
2 x 54 watt ATI Blue Plus

For the back
This would work very nicely as well:dance:

Now that is some great information!!! Sorry to beg for the help, but greatly appreciate it.

Looks like I maybe ordering the Hamilton in a few weeks when travel calms down. Is that a plug and play? Anything else I should know to hook it up/get them going?

Now that is some great information!!! Sorry to beg for the help, but greatly appreciate it.

Looks like I maybe ordering the Hamilton in a few weeks when travel calms down. Is that a plug and play? Anything else I should know to hook it up/get them going?

Yes, those are plug and play. However, I just thought of something (sorry, I’m kinda OCD about this tuff :D). Those Hamilton units are designed to be screwed into a canopy, which you do not have. Since you have a hanging installation situation, these might serve you better as they have eye hooks that are more conducive to hanging installations and it looks like they also have better, wider reflectors than the Hamilton units do to boot! :)

Here are the Reefbrite Supra Slim Dual T5 retrofits kits. Again, get 2 of the 48” units placed end to end towards the back of your tank and one 60” unit placed toward the front of your tank with the same bulb combination that I suggested above and you should be good to go!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/supra-slim-line-dual-t5-retrofit-fixture-reef-brite.html

Last edited:
Yes, those are plug and play. However, I just thought of something (sorry, I'm kinda OCD about this tuff :D). Those Hamilton units are designed to be screwed into a canopy, which you do not have. Since you have a hanging installation situation, these might serve you better as they have eye hooks that are more conducive to hanging installations and it looks like they also have better, wider reflectors than the Hamilton units do to boot! :)

Here are the Reefbrite Supra Slim Dual T5 retrofits kits. Again, get 2 of the 48" units placed end to end towards the back of your tank and one 60" unit placed toward the front of your tank with the same bulb combination that I suggested above and you should be go!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/supra-slim-line-dual-t5-retrofit-fixture-reef-brite.html

You are AWESOME! No need to apologize, I appreciate it.

This link looks pretty good to me. Love it! Totally stoked to get these going!

These are available at MD. Two four foots would work fine.

2ZOlCZ0.jpg

Two of those would work very well for a traditional rectangular 8’ tank. However, the OP has a hexagonal tank with a shorter span on the front display panel than the 8’ span on the rear panel. Hence my recommendation for three of the specifically sized twin retrofit fixtures.

When I had my 8' 240 gal tank I added LET Miro-4 retro kits to my kessil a360s. I installed the 48" units and ran end to end to cover the length of the tank with 2 bulbs in front of leds and 2 bulbs behind (total of 8 48" bulbs).
On my new 270g tank 72" x 36" x 24" I am running a 60" 8 bulb ATI sunpower in the middle with 3 kessils in front angled in and 2 (soon to be 3) behind.

You can run the t-5 either in the middle or outside the leds, just depends on what fixtures you want to use.
In your case I would run the radions down the middle with a couple bulbs in front and behind. The LET retro kits may be challenging to mount in your case, unless you mount them to a board or something and hang that. There are other brands out that are easier to hang as well.

Thank you!! We will hang the T5's on the outside (front and back) of the Radions. I think we're going to skip the retro kits and go right to a unit that's plug and play.

I would do like don said and use 4ft bulbs and hang 4 in front of the leds and 4 behind
Retro fit ones would work being behind the wall fixtures would be more expensive I would think. I like how everything is hidden behind the wall, I wanna ad t5s to my setup but don't want so much hanging out over the tank

That was my biggest hesitation of adding T5's - so much hanging over the tank! My husband is going to rig something up so the "œback" ones are able to be raised so they're out of the way when accessing the tank. We don't have a front access, so that is one thing that's nice, fronts can remain in place and not need to be moved around at all.

I matched up T5s with my Kessils over my 120g. I had 2 bulbs on the front and two on the back. 2 on each side give you more flexibility in color adjustment. I used a blend of Purple Plus (1 or 2), Blue Plus (1 or 2) and Aquablue Special(1). You can get some good retrofits to hang them behind your canopy and you'll be good to go.

Thanks Cody! Looks like we'll be doing the same, two bulbs in front, two in back.

I'm planning on making a fixture like the Aqualife 48" hybrid fixture shown above but I was going to use 3 T5 HO's front and back along with 2 A360W fixtures in the middle, 12" in from each end. I'm planning on having LPS and softies. Will this be too much light?

Back