Want to upgrade my controller. What do you think?

Webmanny

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my controller and have been debating these two options. The main purpose of my upgrade is I want remote control of my tank since I travel often. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my Reefkeeper lite right now.

Please note that I currently have a Reefkeeper lite with 3 power bars, several temp and ph probes, all in great working order.

1: Get an Archon controller only from DA and use all my existing modules.
2: Buy a new Apex and just sell all the Reefkeeper stuff I have.

Some of your current equipment will work with the Archon but I am a huge fan of Apex. I like being able to understand the programming beyond drop down menus. Just get real friendly with virtual outlets. Opens up a whole new world for Apex users.

These things are so subjective and everyone thinks what they own is the best.
Are you near Largo? If so message me and you can stop by and see what I do with my Apex. You can also stop by Mikes and check out his Archon most likely. Make your own decision. Absolutely no reason to make this expensive decision off the word of someone else.

Very true. I already reached out to Mike to take a look at his system. I really appreciate the feedback. I just really wanted to get the experience from people who have used both and have a preference. I will keep you guys posted.

Do you like doing as much as possible for yourself? Take pride in creation?
Not trying to make an arguement. Just trying to help you think of what you want out of the controller.
Actually I should as if you know any programming languages?

I am a developer and can write C, Java and VB, but in all honesty, I am not looking to do much more than what I am already getting out of my Reefkeeper. I want to set things up and let them be. The only thing I really want to add the ability to turn things on and off remotely.

I think based on that and after looking at the setup Mike has, I think I'm leaning more towards Archon. This will allow me to keep all my current stuff in place and just add the extra control.

On that note, thank you Mike for sharing your setup and letting me poke around to see how it behaves. I really appreciate it. You have my contact info if you ever need anything.

Always that important little piece of info left out.
Sounds like the Archon will be more your speed. The gui looks a lot better on the Archon I think.
Funny that you tell yourself early on all I want to do is one little thing like fish only. Then you end up with a $20k sps tank. Good luck keeping it to a minimum. Lol

Always that important little piece of info left out.
Sounds like the Archon will be more your speed. The gui looks a lot better on the Archon I think.
Funny that you tell yourself early on all I want to do is one little thing like fish only. Then you end up with a $20k sps tank. Good luck keeping it to a minimum. Lol

"more your speed" Rob.... really. Any day ya want to stack the capabilities, let's rumble :)

Put you beer down janes. It was opposite of what you are thinking. He is a programmer. Real programmer.
I will put what I can make my apex do compared to what you can make the Archon do without support writing code for either of us any day. Loser buys Billy Jacks. :)

Lol. See what I started? I'll buy you both a few beers and maybe the three of us can invent the next gen controller that will out perform both Apex and Archon.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
I actually work with some controllers that are way more powerful than what we use on our aquariums but I don't think anyone wants to spend $4k + for one.

Back