Watanabei Angel in 75 gallon?

EthanHawaii

Interested in a Watanabei Angel as they don't eat coral, only problem is my tank is 75 gals and I'm not sure if that's enough space? I read on live aquaria that a pair needs 125+ gallon, so you'd think one in a 75g would be fine?

What other fish are in there?

I've got a Tomini Tang, pair of clowns, yellow coris wrasse, red velvet wrasse, flame Hawkfish, and a blenny and goby. Everyone gets along really well. My tank volume will be over 100gal when I upgrade my sump.

IMO, you'd need to start with a juvenile angel, and plan on upgrading or trading the fish when it gets too big. A 75g tank with a 30g sump is not the same swimming/ living space as a 100g tank... just like a 30g tank with a 90g sump is not the same as a 120g tank.
That being said, I'm pretty sure that I would do it... it's a beautiful fish that would be easy to find a new home for.

IMO, you'd need to start with a juvenile angel, and plan on upgrading or trading the fish when it gets too big. A 75g tank with a 30g sump is not the same swimming/ living space as a 100g tank... just like a 30g tank with a 90g sump is not the same as a 120g tank.
That being said, I'm pretty sure that I would do it... it's a beautiful fish that would be easy to find a new home for.

Ok, thank you for the advice. Would a Bellus angelfish be ok long term? Live aquaria says a small harem can be housed in a 125gal but it's an inch bigger so not sure how that works.

I think that most of the Genicanthus Angels are about the same size. A small Bellus is (IMO) more colorful and is also easy to re-home as it gets too big.

I think that most of the Genicanthus Angels are about the same size. A small Bellus is (IMO) more colorful and is also easy to re-home as it gets too big.
They are not all the same size. Watanabei definitely is the smallest of the Genicanthus. IME, they are a little too big for a 75 DT. They get rather large and are very active fish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WatanabeiMale2016051501.jpg
    WatanabeiMale2016051501.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Back