water evaporation bad for newborns

I had a small tank in my room up until I was 6 and we moved. I never had any problems. I did over feed the tank when I was 3 but I never hurt myself. A full tank is really heavy. I doubt a toddler could pull a 29 gallon over on itself.

I'm a little surprised at how worried everyone is. In general the plate glass in a tank is no more fragile than the plate glass in a window. A tempered glass tank would be even better, but just teach the kid not to throw things at the tank because it might kill the fish. I'd skip a full blown reef with a sump and MH, but a self contained tank with overflows in the back, a couple of PHs and some T-5's would be glorious! A couple of clownfish, maybe some colorful gobies and a firefish or two. Safety is good, you shouldn't just put any old tank in any old stand (a cabinet and a hood that locks, with a key that you keep safe, and the wiring all contained, and everything screwed to the studs through the wall would be grand) but kids need to be stimulated too.

If your baby can tip a 29 gallon tank, when the water alone weighs 230 pounds, fear not.

He'll take many more licks on the head one day playing professional football.

We Saints fans would call him a future BEAST, or a man-child.

(I'm saying it won't happen)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reading some of the responses here, I truly do wonder if some people think the safest living situation for a kid would be four walls, no windows, and nothing to play with. certainly adding a tank ads more risk to life than does not having one. As such, going outside and interacting with other humans poses more risk than being huddled in your closet all day.

Just my two cents, is all. ;)

How about an in-wall tank? This is what we did in our baby's nursery:

setup25.jpg

Back