Water Testing / Most reliable / new tech

James Ray

I was told by some people that the API test are completely unreliable and as such I purchased a Red Sea master set. I was curious as to the communities thoughts. Also, I did pick up a refractometer today that I have yet to calibrate / use, and am curious what other tech is out there to test water without having to use a chemistry set that others would recommend.

I should add that I did try an API test strip and it read 200+ Nitrates. When testing with the Red Sea test it came back at 20.

I have found API kits to be fairly accurate and I used them for years, but mostly with fresh water. I had a Res Sea master kit, but I found the colors charts hard to differentiate. For the last 8 months, I have been using exclusively Salifert kits and I really like them. So far they seem very consistent and accurate.
IMO, test strips are worthless for the accuracy we need.

If you don't already have calibration fluid for your refractometer, I highly suggest you get some and not rely on RODI for you calibration point. I have found RODI to be off by .003 Aqua Craft brand is great and comes in a dropper bottle unlike the PinPoint brand.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/861/

Good luck!

API is fairly inaccurate for saltwater testing (but commonly used by freshwater aquarists with success) - they are a good cheap test if you insist on testing for your cycle. I would recommend the redesigned Red Sea kit for Nitrates, Ca/Alk/Mag (That's two separate packs, one for Nitrates and a combo-kit for the others) and a Hanna Checker for Phosphorous (calculate to Phosphates for an extremely accurate reading.)

Make sure you are getting the new Red Sea Kits, I believe they were redesigned not very long ago based on hobbyist feedback.

I have been using Salifert test kits for years and will not use anything else. They have always been reliable and easy to read. I tried the API nitrate test kit and always got inaccurate readings. I haver never tried Red Sea so I can't comment.

Hey james looks like ur in my neck of the woods... if u need to borrow some calibration fluid to get u going let me know..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Back