Web cam / remote access

Donw

I thought I would be cool and install three wide angle web cams in my light fixture since the light is almost two feet off the water. These are usb cameras and work fine all connected to a hub inside the fixture. I'm bored with that since you have to connect it to a pc and can only see them on that pc.

Is there anyway to get these connect to my home network for remote viewing? Home network is just cable modem with a lynksys wireless router.

Thanks
Don

Thanks, I think I might have found a solution. Maybe add a eee pc cheapo linux box and just set skype to auto answer. Probably not the the most robust option but it might work.

Anyone know if you can run more than one web cam on a single pc?

Don

I have two cameras on my office tank, I use Webcam XP. You do need to set up static IPs on the computer. This software will allow up to 100 camera. I'm only using two cheap old Intel PC cams. They work fine. The software is fairly easy to set up, it also allows for outside viewers to chat with you, or your fish.

just set skype to auto answer.
Don [/B]

exactly what me and my brother were discussing just the other day...you should be able to add more cameras to a single comp although it can difficult if your using linex.

PS: gamestop sells cheap web cams for the ps2 that you can use on your comp with some software and a driver for the eye toy....there only about 6$ used...cant beat that

Mark

or that whole dynamic ip thing..

its softwhere that then tells a server elsewhere your current ip addy and changes where a website points ( usualy websites like

yournamehere.noip.com

But I imagine you would want webcams & remote access so that you can monitor your tank and make changes if need be via an AquaController III or something similar. Dynamic IP won't help you in those cases with that equipment.

Many routers will allow you to use services like dyndns.org, which will reroute your IP address to a web address. I use it for my aquacontroller.

I bought the Linksys wifi camera and it works nice and it will be up and running soon but other than the tank my other enjoyment is swimmign so I keep putting off day after day LOL.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13088452#post13088452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedDmon
I have two cameras on my office tank, I use Webcam XP. You do need to set up static IPs on the computer. This software will allow up to 100 camera. I'm only using two cheap old Intel PC cams. They work fine. The software is fairly easy to set up, it also allows for outside viewers to chat with you, or your fish.

Saw that last night while searching Google. I downloaded the single cam version (freeby) but the router setup part went right over my head. The program seemed pretty straight forward and looked good for a freeby.
Once installed and surfed to the IP it would just take me to the routers html set-up screens. Once I got there I was stuck. Lynksys routers are supposed to be easy to set up but I guess you need to understand what your attempting to do first.:)

Skype works but the image quality is not good. I dont think there is a fix for that.

Thanks
Don

With webCam XP, you need to set up Port Forarding, on a Linksys router that's under the "Gaming and Applications" Webcam XP says to use port 8080 for video, and 8090 for audio. then you just need to make sure your host computer has a static IP on your LAN, enter that in the last set of boxes and you should be good to go. Without port forwarding you'll have nothing.
when it's all set up you should have an address like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 and you should see your cam.

PM me if you need more details

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13092668#post13092668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedDmon
With webCam XP, you need to set up Port Forarding, on a Linksys router that's under the "Gaming and Applications" Webcam XP says to use port 8080 for video, and 8090 for audio. then you just need to make sure your host computer has a static IP on your LAN, enter that in the last set of boxes and you should be good to go. Without port forwarding you'll have nothing.
when it's all set up you should have an address like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 and you should see your cam.

PM me if you need more details

Thanks I'll give it another shot.

Don

Back