Websites or Forums to learn more & research equipment

Raoul5Duke

Recently took an extended tune up after being out of diving for 25+ years. I took all my old equipment in to see if it had value and pretty much every company whose equipment I had is out of business so there is no way to service it and bring it back. Looking to research new equipment and also wondering if there are any good forums for diving like ReefCentral is for learning about aquariums. Any suggestions?

Also, if you were a new diver with only the basics (mask, fins, snorkel) what equipment would you start with as you build your inventory? I was thinking a wet suit and dive computer, then a BC and regulators. Or would people suggest just buying a complete package at once? I doubt I get the opportunity to dive more than 1x a year until the kids get a little older.

ScubaBoard.com is pretty much the equivalent of Reef Central for the diving community.

As far as equipment, I'm a firm believer in owning your own gear. Familiarity with your equipment reduces task loading, and you know the last time it was serviced. Often dive shops offer discounts for buying a complete gear setup (typically BC, wetsuit and reg), but it depends on your budget. If I were doing it piecemeal, I'd start with a wetsuit and dive computer, then add BC and reg later.

ScubaBoard.com is pretty much the equivalent of Reef Central for the diving community.

As far as equipment, I'm a firm believer in owning your own gear. Familiarity with your equipment reduces task loading, and you know the last time it was serviced. Often dive shops offer discounts for buying a complete gear setup (typically BC, wetsuit and reg), but it depends on your budget. If I were doing it piecemeal, I'd start with a wetsuit and dive computer, then add BC and reg later.

Thanks for the info.

Scuba diving magazine has reviews of equipment. Agreed on Scubaboard.com. For me, if you don't dive a lot, I'd stick with mask, snorkel, fins. After that, I'd say regulator/gauges.

Back