Weeds

I chose the laughing emoji because of Allen, Allen and Ellen. That's so funny. Great assortment of fish! Your tank appears to be at a sweet spot too. Now only if those fish would do more grazing!!!

Glad you got a laugh! The two larger Allens are tough to tell apart, but the smaller one I'm guessing is female. So, you can tell I put a lot of thought into it…

I am enjoying this particular assortment of fishies! The Foxface isn't the Caulerpa grazer I read it was. Waldo does eat it, but he takes really small bites, which is weird. Tip to tail, he's the biggest fish in the tank. Stanley the sailfin eats some too. I'm hoping that as he gets bigger and bigger, he'll eat more of it. There's always another fish…😏

I hear ya about not being able to tell the damsels apart so I totally get their names and it makes perfect sense to me. I can't tell my damsels apart either.

That's a bit of a disappointment about Waldo and him not being the caulerpa grazer you were hoping for. Well, maybe he will learn to eat caulerpa as he ages, ( I didn't use to eat sauerkraut when I was a kid but I like it now) so one can always hope. Its good that Stanley likes it. Oh, so you are thinking about possibly adding more fish, do tell! Inquiring minds need to know!!!!

i have no clue about the info on them. i did install a 300w led comparable to a VIPARSPECTRA light. do you know how seagrass is shipped? is it like in a bag without water like other plants? i have seen it grow out of the water during tides so id assume that that arrangement would be fine. what species are the easiest to keep? the manatee grass or the turtle grass? i am going to the keys so are there any species specific to there. also, can you ship macroalgae out of water? im considering hunting for some macro. i have seen a couple peices of caleurpa on my live rocks but it sucks to wait a long time for them to grow

i have no clue about the info on them. i did install a 300w led comparable to a VIPARSPECTRA light. do you know how seagrass is shipped? is it like in a bag without water like other plants? i have seen it grow out of the water during tides so id assume that that arrangement would be fine. what species are the easiest to keep? the manatee grass or the turtle grass? i am going to the keys so are there any species specific to there. also, can you ship macroalgae out of water? im considering hunting for some macro. i have seen a couple peices of caleurpa on my live rocks but it sucks to wait a long time for them to grow
Actually if your conditions are favorable for the caulerpa, you may not have to wait as long as you might think. Its a pretty fast grower.

Dawn your naming convention for damsels is the same as mine, for the same reasons! ha! 🤓 Yes, I'm pretty surprised the new herbivorous fish haven't made more of a dent in the Caulerpa. I remember Mr Zippy, the Atlantic Blue Tang in v1 devoured the stuff. If Stanley doesn't come through, maybe I'll trade him in for one. Also, I've been pondering a pygmy angel of some kind, which would likely be the last fish added.

Noah_Reefing, seagrasses are shipped bagged in water, as are macro algae. I think Shoal Grass is the easiest seagrass to grow, but don't let that stop you trying any of them. I've grown manatee, turtle and shoal grasses, and they all did well. You should be able to find and collect lots of macros in the Keys. You just need a fishing license to be legal, I think. Vlangel's right, caulerpa can really take off, with enough light and nutrients. Like visible, daily growth. The reds grow slower and need less light. Good luck and have fun in the Keys!

my problem with all my tanks is they grow algae like crazy. neither of the 2 tanks where its a problem are overstocked. 2 fish in the 10g (blenny and a small falco hawk just eating a bit of food daily, mostly eat pods & blenny eats algae) tank does get sun though. i am considering movign it. then the 20g just has a pair of seahorses. in the 10g its cyano and dinos and its real nasty. doesnt hurt the corals though. in the 20g i dont have much coral but everything except the macros is fine. they get smothered like crazy

I love my clean up crew. Possibly the secret to my success. I like incorporating natural solutions.

Despite your algae trouble, you seem to be having fun, Noah_Reefing. Dabbling with multiple tanks sounds fascinating and challenging. Me, I prefer to just focus on one big tank. Everyone does it differently, and that's pretty darn cool!

I'm seeing growth from the scalped Manatee Grass. It does appear to like being pruned down occasionally.

Dawn your naming convention for damsels is the same as mine, for the same reasons! ha! 🤓 Yes, I'm pretty surprised the new herbivorous fish haven't made more of a dent in the Caulerpa. I remember Mr Zippy, the Atlantic Blue Tang in v1 devoured the stuff. If Stanley doesn't come through, maybe I'll trade him in for one. Also, I've been pondering a pygmy angel of some kind, which would likely be the last fish added.
Oh no, not Stanley! He is stunning! Do sailfins and Atlantic blue tangs not get along with each other? Surely there is another herbivore that would get along with what you have?

With the same body and mouth shape, I doubt they'd get along. Plus both of them grow too large for my tank, I think. I think the best bet at this point would be a dwarf Angelfish of some kind. The key characteristic is they need to LOVE Caulerpa!

I do agree that it would be awful if Stanley and Mr Zippy version 2 fight! That needs to be avoided at all costs- even if it means that Stanley needs to find a new home. Uhhg! Why does this hobby have so many hard choices?

It's also hard because even though a certain species of fish is suppose to love munching down on caulerpa, you can always end up with an individual who doesn't follow the rules. Like Herbie in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, LOL.

Was Herbie the misfit elf? It's tough sometimes making choices for our tanks. So I focus on the overall goal of the ecosystem. I need a caulerpa-vore. I remember in v1 I struggled with an invasion of Caulerpa Slugs. Now I could use one…

Atlantic Blue tangs and Sailfin Tangs are pretty similar and both will really get too big for my tank at some point. So there's that, plus I still need a caulerpa-vore. I'm looking at the Flame and Herald's Angelfish as possibilities.

Yes, Herbie was the misfit elf who preferred to be a dentist rather than make toys, LOL!

I love Flame angelfish and think they are so beautiful. The only one I ever had was an aggressive coral picker unfortunately and since I have coral, I have avoided them ever since. If a Flame picks at caulerpa as mine picked at coral, that should help tremendously, ha ha! I forget what I used to know about the Herald's dwarf angel. I am guessing they really like their greens?

I'm a big flame angel fan too, but I don't think either of them will make a dent in the caulerpa. The Blue Spotted Rabbitfish looks like a possible option.

I wondered about a rabbitfish. I was not sure how it would be with your foxface. I am guessing that your research finds that they are compatible.

Glad the tank is doing well Michael. Sorry for being gone so long again. I got sick for almost 3 weeks. I once had a Herald's angel, beautiful subtle green and orange coloration on the fins against a brilliant yellow body. It would be a fine addition to your tank.

I never would have guessed that your current tangs wouldn't make a difference in the caulerpa growth. Mr. Zippy was quite the caulerpa eater. I wonder how long it takes them to get too big for your tank. Maybe you can work a deal out with your LFS for a future trade in?

Back