What are good beginners fish?

pattonclarky

Hi,

I have just set up a 70ltr saltwater tank. I have 7kg live rock, protein skimmer and a blower (not sure of the name). We filled it up yesterday with salt water from the pet shop.

I know I have to wait a few weeks to introduce fish but I was looking for some tips like... what fish goes well with clown fish? I am wanting about 4 or 5 total but don't want to over crowd it. Ideally looking for bright fish.

If you can help me out at all that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Umm, do some research first it doesn't take a week. Never trust a local fish store rather do some investigation. Read up on the nitrate cycle and before getting fish invest on a test kit and a refractometer.

Umm, do some research first it doesn't take a week. Never trust a local fish store rather do some investigation. Read up on the nitrate cycle and before getting fish invest on a test kit and a refractometer.

Read his post carefully before making a judgement. He said a few weeks.

If you want 4 or 5 fish in a tank that size you'll probably have to get a few small gobies with a clownfish pair.

Look at the sticky about posting ur intended fish stocking list. Its a great way to gain knowledge. That is how learned alot about specific fish behavers and which are compatible with other fish

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to do my research. There is just so much that you need to know and each the it is telling me different things.

I regret to say I have a pair of the nastiest clownfish on the planet. My first fish, a pair of tomato clowns sold by my LFS. The have survived a bout with ich, a young tank, mistakes, you name it. They also will attack my hand in a heartbeat with or without gloves. They simply don't care. Had I known how "friendly" these guys were they would have stayed at the LFS until retirement.
My mistake.
Moral: At the time I didn't know this site existed. Most of the advice is great, some really useful. When someone says "damsels can be really aggressive" they mean it. Stay away. Avoid the nasty ones so you can enjoy the tank.

I did eventually solve the tomato clown's attitude. I got them a long tentacle anemone which they happily annoy all day and sleep in at night. They leave me alone most of the time.

chromis are good beginner fish. cheap too if you are worried about making mistakes. I personally started with captive bread occelaris clowns

Back