What are the odds this will work?

Ophidia

So, I have a bunch of good sized RBTA's. My true percs have no interest in them whatsoever (they love their Sarcophyton) so I set up a 30 gallon, moved over mature live rock and live sand, and put a pair of 1.25" long ORA GSM's in there. They rumbled a bit initially, but also would hang out some. They would occasionally have chasing matches and sort of intertwine shaking their bodies.

I then moved one of the RBTA's in there after a month or so of the tank being set up (from mature components). This was a week ago. The GSM's ignored the anemone up until yesterday. This morning one of them had taken up residence. Periodically the other one would cruise over there, they'd circle each other shaking for a bit, then it would cruise away.

After reading the clownfish pairing FAQ (just now) it looks like this method is not recommended for maroons. Based on my description of their behaviour, does there seem to be any chance that this will work? Would I be better served by removing the one that's losing at this point? There's no physical damage yet. I'd like to give it more time to see what's going to happen, but I don't want the little guy to get the holy hell beaten out of him either.

Having my true percs pair off was a lot calmer. They didn't ever really fight. The smaller one submitted immediately and that was it.

Thanks

From your description, it sounds like you got lucky. Otherwise you'd be describing the bite marks, fin rips and the generally pitiful state of one of them.

Check at night to see if he's allowed on the anemone, that's an excellent sign. Assuming you indeed have a potential pair she should gradually begin to accept him. Sometimes it can be quick, other times it can take days.

As long as there are no physical attacks, there's no reason to remove the fish

All is well in Maroon land. They did appear to pair up and they are both living in the anemones in apparent harmony. The more aggressive one is now larger and growing faster than the other (they were identical in size when I got them) and she is getting some yellow on her bands. The "male" is still white and his color is becoming brighter while the female's is getting much darker.

I'm happy. From what I've read this sort of pairing method rarely works with Premnas. Just thought I'd update. I'd get a pic but my ballast took a crap on my yesterday so they're under crappy NO florescent until my new ballast gets here.

:thumbsup:

The larger more aggressive one is definitely the female and the other is the male -- no doubt about it. No need for quotations or uncertainty. :D

Glad things worked out!. They'll both continue to darken. They'll get to the point where they appear to be angry about something all the time, especially the female, and never get over it ---- by then they should be spawning on a regular basis.

Enjoy!

Here's a pic of the ones I had :D
url]

Back