What can I do to fix these pics?

rjmayes34

I am finally able to get close up pics of my corals but I am still having some problems.... First, my pics seem to be focusing on part of the coral but blurring the rest. My second problem is that I guess I don't know how to use photo editing programs to fix my white balance. Any advice would help. These pics were taken on a Cannon 20D 80 shutter 2.8 aperture.
IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

The duncan should be a light purple/pinkish color with a neon green center and the acan should be a purple with a bright orange/red stripe and almost neon green.
I have tried messing with the photo editor to fix the colors but every time I change one color it messes up the other colors.

This is the image that i tried fixing and the colors are still not as vivid.
fixedimage.jpg

To get more in focus, get down to f8 or f9.5. Did you shoot in raw? if so what program are you using?

Yeah I shot them in RAW and I tried using Picasa and Pixlr. Pixlr seems to have more options to change the colors but when I finally get one color looking right, the other colors become off.

RAW photos straight out of the camera are generally going to look much more bland than a JPG photo, because they won't have any extra saturation or contrast applied. You'll need a decent RAW photo editor. Photoshop Elements has a good editor, and won't break the bank. Lightroom is another very good option, but it's a bit more expensive (I believe the newest version is selling for around $150 on Amazon, which really isn't a bad price at all).

For your "focus" problem (it's actually a problem with depth of field), Misled is spot on. If you do a web search for "Depth of Field Calculator", it will help you get the right aperature for the depth of field you need. With macro shots, the f/8-9.5 that Misled suggested will often get you decent depth of field, but each situation can be a little different.

Back