what do these corals need?

I was using the orbit lights and had the same problem. Went to t5 I had laying around huge difference. Turn the blue up 100 percent and white up to at lead 80 percent.

U can add snails and carbs whenever u like. They might push around your frags but they add character to the tank and actually do help with clean up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also want to add that I'm using instant ocean salt and I presently mix it 2 days before water change. Should I switch to reef crystals?

Ok, I am going to say it. Your tank is way to young and immature to have corals in my opinion.

Why is his tank too immature? The green star polyps will survive anywhere. The Zoas can be more complicated in some cases but they usually work too. I have seen gsp in tanks with 100+nitrates that are growing like crazy. Even if it's not cycled usually that's one of the first beginner corals that people put in.

It's only been in your tank for a week. Get them as close to the light as possible and maybe increase flow a little bit. Give it time and more than likely they will come around.

Corals are tricky! I started with what most would consider "weeds" the pulsing Xenia and then moved on to mushrooms and then a hammer coral this was all within a ten year span...those three do well in my tank. I have a tiny leather drag that went through some tough times but has managed to stay alive:) It just depends on your style I think. Unfortunately it's hard to know when that is. In the mean time learn to enjoy spending lots of time on wet web media and perusing books about the different species :)

Corals are tricky! I started with what most would consider "weeds" the pulsing Xenia and then moved on to mushrooms and then a hammer coral this was all within a ten year span...those three do well in my tank. I have a tiny leather frag that went through some tough times but has managed to stay alive:) It just depends on your style I think. Unfortunately it's hard to know when that is. In the mean time learn to enjoy spending lots of time on wet web media and perusing books about the different species :)

reef crystals are better for reef tanks if you don't want to dose to bring up levels to where they need to be off the start. These corals really aren't all that picky, but to be sure what are your big 3? Alk, Calc, and Mag, should know these all now that you are adding corals to the tank.

I started about 4 months ago when I sold my piranhas and tank.
My wife was so happy that we had no more aquarium after 20 years of keeping nothing but piranhas. About a week later I was going through major withdrawals and decided to start a 33 gallon brackish tank which turned into full marine tank not long after.
Here I am discussing corals. So much more involved and so addictive. Thanks for all the info.

If he has been testing water and the tank cycles properly then what's the harm with putting a couple corals in it? I wouldn't suggest and sps or anything but I've seen tanks that became TOTM starting out exactly like this. Some people just get lucky and put coral in and it works. Maybe differences is salt or light or even the skimmer who knows. I'd agree and say keep an eye on your water tests. That's more important right now than anything. I've seen tanks with crappy old *** equipment and running old lights etc and coral looking beautiful in it because it was a stable environment for them to be in and become used to. It's hard for everyone to not want that tank to be full of stuff and looking great but honestly it's difficult. Especially during the first year. I'd leave those corals and try and see if you can get them to grow. Keep water stable and do some research on whatever coral you decide to try out next before you buy one.

If he has been testing water and the tank cycles properly then what's the harm with putting a couple corals in it? I wouldn't suggest and sps or anything but I've seen tanks that became TOTM starting out exactly like this. Some people just get lucky and put coral in and it works. Maybe differences is salt or light or even the skimmer who knows. I'd agree and say keep an eye on your water tests. That's more important right now than anything. I've seen tanks with crappy old *** equipment and running old lights etc and coral looking beautiful in it because it was a stable environment for them to be in and become used to. It's hard for everyone to not want that tank to be full of stuff and looking great but honestly it's difficult. Especially during the first year. I'd leave those corals and try and see if you can get them to grow. Keep water stable and do some research on whatever coral you decide to try out next before you buy one.

+1 thank you!!! Even in my short time in the reefing environment I have learned that even the most badass tanks with the best equipment can fail and every tank is different.

+1 thank you!!! Even in my short time in the reefing environment I have learned that even the most badass tanks with the best equipment can fail and every tank is different.

I don't know if your GSP is a briareum or pachyclavularia, or something completely else, but the GSP generally do better with traces of phosphate and nitrates.

I don't know about button polys.
But, since you don't have a huge reef that would suffer negatively from allowing these values to go up for a short time, you can try allowing a rise and see if it helps with the colour.

Despite all that, remember that it can take time to get use to new locations, so changing more things might always be counterproductive and ... even human babies do not have a 100% survival success, so don't expect anything else to have either :)

Back