What does anyone think about a Reeflo Hammerhead pump for my application and quality?

basssnake

I have a 150 gallon glass tank that i am going to use either a hangon overflow(at least a 1200gph) or i may attempt to drill and use a overflow box around the fittings(probably two) near the top of the back of the tank, depending on if i can get over the fear of trying to drill it. I am going to be using a rubbermaid 100 gallon plastic stock tank for a sump with live and base rock(which should become live within a short time) and possibly a 55 gallon glass tank for a refugium. I bought a Iwaki md-40rxt which is supposedly according to the seller a 1300 gph at 4 head ft. I will have at least 8 to 10 head feet at minimum. Should i use that pump for feeding the water from the refugium to the sump(or should i go the other way and go from the larger sump to the refugium and then back to the tank?) Or would this pump be okay for running the water back to the main tank? I plan to use some Hydor Koralia number 4's in the main tank for extra flow.

I could get a Reeflo Hammerhead pump for the return back to the tank. The flow on this pump is 5500 gph at 4 feet of head. Looking at a chart on Marinedepot.com it looks like it would put out about 4500 gph at 10 head feet. Is this too much flow for what i am doing?? Would it overflow my main tank due to this much flow? I am not sure what to do. What is the reliability of the Reeflo hammerhead(or other pumps by reeflo)? I have read they are reliable and very quiet. But again, i don't want to over do it and flood the main tank due to too much water being pumped back into the tank.

Please help anyone.......

Your return must be a little less than the max overflow. I would split your overflow between the sump and refugium. You don't want a ton of flow through the refugium. A 1" or so overflow in the refugium should return back to the sump. Then your iwaki should be able to be used for the return. I would make sure that the refugium return goes back to the sump return instead of the skimmer area.

hey there: The hammerhead is going to move way too much water for this setup. You will not be able to use a overflow box and expect it to keep up. It would take 2 drilled overflows. I just hooked up a reeflo barracuda with 12 feet of head and 30 feet horiz. and the amount of water it moves is scary. If you go with the hammerhead you will have to throttle it back from wide open or your tank will look like Katrina coming over the levey. Also keep in mind that the return and overflow pipes need to be at least 2" to keep up. I am very happy with the barracuda, it is quiet and boy does it pump the water. Just my thoughts, take care, Mike

Ok so you are saying to go this route in water flow........Main tank overflow >one to the sump and one to the refugium>then return the water from the refugium(55gallon glass tank) to the sump(100gallon rubbermaid plastic tank)(which is where i will have a skimmer)>then use Iwaki to return back to the main tank?

So is the Reeflo Hammerhead at 4500 gph at 10 feet way to big?? will it flood my main tank? What should i use to feed the refugium to the sump if the flow of water is correct above?

Can you throttle back the hammerhead to the point of not flowing too much water? Or is it best for me to forget it and just try using my iwaki? I hear the iwaki is reliable(mine i just got today used) but i hear they are loud. It may not be a problem though since it will be sitting in a porch that is closed off.

your setup looks good how you described it. The sequence, reeflo pumps are very high rated, they can be scaled back on the outflow side with a ball valve. The are also lower power users and mine is very quiet. Reeflo says that restricting output will actually save power and make the motor last longer. The hammerhead is way too big for you in my opinion. If you like thier pumps maybe go with a barracuda or even a dart. good luck and have fun

I would put a 1" hole in the 55g refugium and just use it as an overflow to return to the sump. The less movings parts the better.

So, would likely the Iwaki be ok to use(1300gph at 4 feet head)for the return back to the main 150 gallon tank? I probably can't throttle back the hammerhead(5500gph at 4 feet head)enough for my application without flooding the main tank?

Yes the Iwaki would be good. I would put in a kick back on the return line, just to make sure you don't have to much flow going into the tank and flood the overflows.

What is a kick back for the return? Is it a valve that you can turn to let less water through? Or something else? Please explain. So, i should forget the hammerhead?

My bad, you don't need the kickback. I thought the Iwaki was pressure rated. A simple ball valve would work. Yes forget the hammerhead. way to much flow for this.

I don't know a lot about plumbing(i will learn as i put this together), a ball valve is just a fitting with the lever you turn to turn a ball inside to adjust the amount of water going through(from close to full open), right?

Forget the Hammerhead. I have a 220 with 2 x 1.5" overflows and my Barracuda has to be scaled down by about 40%. A Dart might even be too much. When you use a ball valve... just make sure you install it on the out end of the pump, not the intake. 1300 gph on a 150 gallon tank is plenty for your filtration. The rest of your intank flow should be handled with a closed loop or powerheads like the Koralias you mentioned.

Ok, so it sounds as if my iwaki that is supposed to be 1300gph at 4 feet head, should be enough then. Is a reeflo any better pump than a iwaki besides being quieter?

Back