What else should I be testing?

tanyamikephil

I have API Reef & Saltwater master test kits that cover PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, carbonate hardness, and phosphate.
Is there anything else that I should be testing on a regular basis?

IMO, ATI is ok testing during the cycle, but after that I threw mines in the trash (not very reliable). I like Red Sea or Salifert test kits. If you are keeping corals, Alk, Ca, Mg, nirates, and phosphates is what I test for.

I have API Reef & Saltwater master test kits that cover PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, carbonate hardness, and phosphate.
Is there anything else that I should be testing on a regular basis?

+1 on red sea. Especially Ca, Mg, and Kh levels
Ammonia, Nitrate, pH, and Nitrate are good with API testers
Also make sure you test salinity and temperature

+1 on red sea. Especially Ca, Mg, and Kh levels
Ammonia, Nitrate, pH, and Nitrate are good with API testers
Also make sure you test salinity and temperature

We are testing the salinity on a regular basis, it took a while to get the hang of that but we figured it out and the last 3 times we checked it was good. We also got a good digital thermometer to keep the temp where it needs to be. Some said the temp should be 77 and some said 78 so we have it set in the middle of the two.

IMO, ATI is ok testing during the cycle, but after that I threw mines in the trash (not very reliable). I like Red Sea or Salifert test kits. If you are keeping corals, Alk, Ca, Mg, nirates, and phosphates is what I test for.

After the initial set up i can't afford to throw mine away lol, but i did just order a couple of Salifert kits for the things that were missing. I'll switch over to the rest gradually. Thanks for replying.

What are you keeping in the tank? While perhaps not the most accurate test kits on the market, what you have covers the basics. Even with a full SPS reef tank I rarely test for anything other than calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and occasionally phosphates and nitrates if I'm seeing any algae. If you don't have stony corals I wouldn't even test for calcium or magnesium. What test kits you have will cover almost any corals although I would add magnesium if you are keeping either LPS or SPS corals or clams.

Back