What fish is this?

DerekG4

I work at a fish store and a shipment of fish came in today which included one of these. This is the first time I ever see this fish and I have no idea what it is. Manager ended up labeling it as "œDolphin Shark" for $30.99. I tried googling it but nothing under that name came up. I'd rather ask you guys than ask my boss to see if I can get more information out of this fish.

I know the pic isn't too good, but it's black and white, with the white having a slight blue hue under certain lighting (kind of like how a white clown would be), long body, has a cleaner wrasse-like tail, hovers around the sand like a dartfish, and it swims like a dottyback or a fang blenny (kind of "œslithers" around then has a sudden choppy stop while moving it's fins and tail. Not too good at explaining this I know :rollface: )

Honestly it looks like a pretty cool fish, if it's reef safe, fish friendly, and doesn't get very big, I may take it for myself.

Attachments

• 1A804239-83FC-4E24-8E38-98E2E12247B1.jpg
    1A804239-83FC-4E24-8E38-98E2E12247B1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, I managed to find it now.

From what I gathered, it usually swims around and also makes a small burrow near rocks, is coral safe, May eat small inverts and maybe small fish, and it gets big like you said. Correct me if I’m wrong on the other stuff.

It’s otherwise a pretty neat fish. If I didn’t have already my zebra barred dartfish,
I’d probably take it.

Is there a general “what *animal name* is this?” Thread here somewhere? There’s more fish I’d like to ask about. A grouper like fish and some sort of goby, I’ll take a picture of them in a moment

Alrighty, what about these?

I know ones a goby, it occasionally takes a mouthful of sand. Acts almost like a
Bullet goby.

The other I'm not entirely convinced if it's a grouper. Has a strange mouth for one but otherwise acts just like a grouper. Sometimes it'll sit down and sometimes it'll just hover around over the sand. Doesn't seem to be very mean, doesn't mess with the blue headed wrasses he's with at least. Takes down silversides soon as it hits the surface.

Attachments

• A81858A3-FD4E-4BEB-B81C-740DE128695E.jpg
    A81858A3-FD4E-4BEB-B81C-740DE128695E.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 8F81BDDE-1FE4-4600-9DE2-EE2540782132.jpg
    8F81BDDE-1FE4-4600-9DE2-EE2540782132.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
The first one looks like Serranus subligarius, segrest is calling it a belted sandfish. You can pretty much expect it to be laid back and not attack its tank mates, unless it'll fit in its mouth, then you can kiss it goodbye. And the second one looks like Amblygobius linki or a link's goby.

The first one looks like Serranus subligarius, segrest is calling it a belted sandfish. You can pretty much expect it to be laid back and not attack its tank mates, unless it'll fit in its mouth, then you can kiss it goodbye. And the second one looks like Amblygobius linki or a link's goby.

Thanks, it was definitely those 2.

Back