What is a good return pump??

medic29

Premium Member
I'm getting ready to set up my new system (120 gal tank, 40 gal sump, 10 gal refugium) and I'm thinking about the return pump. To be honest I don't know much about the various pumps out there so I decided it is time to ask those of you that are more knowledgeable than I.

What would be a good pump to use for a return pump for my system? I figure I will have around 8ft. or less of head pressure. I'm also curious about which ones are somewhat energy efficient with all the power companies are doing. I'm not really partial either way whether the pump is internal or external.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

It's 2 1-inch drains (from the AGA 120 corner overflows). I'd imagine somewhere around 1200 gph.

So we can understand correctly, Rick...how many holes are there in the bottom of your overflow(s)?

There is one 3/4" return hole and one 1" drain hole in each corner overflow and I have 2 of them. So I have two 1" drains.

Each one would handle up to 600gph. So, you can chose a pump that's somewhat lessthan the 1200gph limit. If you're plumbing dry, I'd recommend that you go with an Iwaki MD70LRT. They are a bit pricey but plumbing outside with one of those is ideal and will have less heat transfer to your tank's water.

If you're placing the waterpump in the sump, then you'd be alright with a Mag 18.

So that you're more aware of the numbers (gph) involved, this will help you decide which pump to consider given the head loss of your application:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

I have an Eheim 1262 running the circulation on my chiller and I agree that it's a very fine pump. But for the particular purpose of the pump that you're inquiring here about, I would say that it just isn't strong enough being rated at 850gph and then there'd be a reduction of that due to head loss. and so it wouldn't be efficient. But, if you don't mind that, the Eheim is a good choice and you could make do with it.

I wouldn't have suggested a Mag if I had that kind of experience with them. I have three Mags going on my fish tanks....two in a sump and one plumbed dry on a CO2 unit for a planted tank. They're all completely silent. I just ordered another Mag...for FOWLR that I'm working on. I've had nothing but good experiences with them but I have read that other people have a noise issue with them. It surprises me because I'm sensitive to noise in this room where the tanks are because we do other things like watch tv and listen to music here and all the Mags are thoroughly silent.

Back