What is growing

ecreef

So, on my rocks it looks like a light brown fuzz and it has also done this in the sand. It's not all over, but its in spots and almost taking over. I tried to take pictures, but the color does not come out well so it's hard to see. Does anyone know what this may be?

How long has the tank been set up? It sounds like an algae? Have you tested for phosphates?

up and running for 6 months before i got it, about a month or two with me, but i just added rock.

Is it fuzzy or slimy? If it's slimy-looking it might be cyanobacteria (commonly but inaccurately called Blue-Green Algae - BGA). Otherwise I would think it's probably algae accelerating because of a die off in the new rock or a partial cycle for other reasons. I think your tank is still in a "growth phase" (like mine) and you'll have some cycles of accelerated algae growth while the ecosystem is struggling to find equilibrium. I'd let it go and just slowly add algae-loving creatures (one every few months) to strive for a long-term balance. But if you hate algae you may not want balance. :)

Brad

Back