What is the best salt for SPS tanks that are also dosing A&B?

deputydog95

I would be shocked if anyone on here is keeping SPS without dosing, but just wanted to be clear.

I'm trying to keep my tank around 9dkh, 450ca, and 1250-1300Mg.

I use the Seachem Reef Fusion A&B and Reef Crystals salt.

While I understand "reef" mixes have all sorts of elevated levels of stuff, it doesn't seem necessary if you're doing regular water changes and dosing.

As it stands I'm trying to get my Mg down from 1400 and I'm convinced it's because off all the extra "stuff" in the A&B solutions.

My reef crystals mixes up at 12dkh, which is much higher than necessary with a target of 9.

If you weren't dosing, I could see why you'd need those elevated levels.

Is there a good salt out there that gives you a nice baseline of Alk and elements without going overboard?

Thoughts?

The best salt is the one matching your desired parameters.
No reason why you should reduce the 1400 Magnesium. That is a fine level. WWC and Vivid keep their tank at or above 1400 if I remember well.
Get a salt that mixes well and but keep an eye on the nutrient levels in your tank.
Having a high Alk (over 8) with minimal or no nutrients will kill SPS from tip down or base up. So high Alk - high nutrients. Low Alk-low nutrients.
FWIW I use HW Marinemix reefer. Alk 9.0. Mixes clear in minutes. Moved away from Salinity because of cloudiness in the salt mix. ESV was too much work for me but was a fine salt.
Instant ocean could be all you need honestly.

I have been using regular Instant Ocean for a couple years now with great results. I have used many different types but the IO is cheap, mixes quickly, and isn't too high on the Alk.

I keep my tank around 8.5/420 lately and its growing very well. The IO still mixes around 9 but that's still far more compatible for me than the RC or RSCP that were mixing well higher.

Don't overthink it. Sometimes the cheap and easy option works well.

I have been using regular Instant Ocean for a couple years now with great results. I have used many different types but the IO is cheap, mixes quickly, and isn't too high on the Alk.

I keep my tank around 8.5/420 lately and its growing very well. The IO still mixes around 9 but that's still far more compatible for me than the RC or RSCP that were mixing well higher.

Don't overthink it. Sometimes the cheap and easy option works well.

Interesting. Everything I've read up this point showed that IO was mixing much higher at around 11 dkh.

For instance:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

I ended up picking up some Red Sea "blue bucket" as it mixes around 8dkh. Lower than my 8.5 to 9 dkh, but I've rather come in a little lower than much higher since I'm dosing.

The blue bucket is a little pricey, but it has a good reputation amongst reef users and is naturally harvested so it's pretty complete with regards to all the trace elements.

I would have tried IO, but for the info I got about it mixing so high. Interesting you're finding it to come in a 9. Definitely a contender on the next purchase then.

On a separate note, I'm in Sarasota. If you're ever interested in meeting in the middle and trading some SPS frags, I'd be up for it. I've got some decent stuff and the prices on frags is getting out of control these days.

I should have said 9.X because the last time I checked it wasn't 10 but was still higher than I keep my tank. It would be interesting to see if/when the various companies have tweaked their ratios.

I used the Tropic Marin Pro Reef for a long time and it was "perfect" for what I needed, but I got effectively several bad buckets in a row many years ago that were all wildly inconsistent and I vowed not to go back. I'm quite sure they have corrected whatever issue they had, but it will always be in the back of my mind and I've never had a consistency issue with IO.

I've never tried the Red Sea Salt (original blend) but I agree that the numbers look good and I know there are some other SPS people using it. I used the RSCP on an old tank when I kept the alk higher, but I don't risk running the alk too high with my current system so the RSCP is no longer a good option for me and I don't want to bother with muriatic acid.

For me the best "value" is in the IO even if it's still mixing higher than ideal. I think the RSS is probably, on paper, the best for a lower alk tank, but is also more expensive.

I'm definitely interested in trading some frags. I'll shoot you a PM and we can try to coordinate!

Thanks,
Ed

Personally I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt as it buffs my water and the extra All,Cal,and Mag that I won't need to do when pouring into my SPS dominate Tank.

I should have said 9.X because the last time I checked it wasn't 10 but was still higher than I keep my tank. It would be interesting to see if/when the various companies have tweaked their ratios.

I used the Tropic Marin Pro Reef for a long time and it was "perfect" for what I needed, but I got effectively several bad buckets in a row many years ago that were all wildly inconsistent and I vowed not to go back. I'm quite sure they have corrected whatever issue they had, but it will always be in the back of my mind and I've never had a consistency issue with IO.

I've never tried the Red Sea Salt (original blend) but I agree that the numbers look good and I know there are some other SPS people using it. I used the RSCP on an old tank when I kept the alk higher, but I don't risk running the alk too high with my current system so the RSCP is no longer a good option for me and I don't want to bother with muriatic acid.

For me the best "value" is in the IO even if it's still mixing higher than ideal. I think the RSS is probably, on paper, the best for a lower alk tank, but is also more expensive.

I'm definitely interested in trading some frags. I'll shoot you a PM and we can try to coordinate!

Thanks,
Ed

I don't think you'll bump the alk much with smaller water changes with the coral pro, as I've been using Reef Crystals for well over 6 months and that comes in way higher than where I keep my tank. But I don't do more than 10% at at time.

The Res Sea blue bucket is expensive, but it is naturally harvested versus a synthetic salt and "allegedly" is incredibly well balanced with trace elements as a result. That's the marketing ploy anyway, but would seem to be logical.

I have another water change or two left of Reef Crystals and then I'll start in with the RS blue bucket.

Anyone try brightwell neomarine reef salt? I have been using for months and am happy with it.

Never tired it and none of the local shops carry it. Seems to have solid numbers though.

Personally I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt as it buffs my water and the extra All,Cal,and Mag that I won't need to do when pouring into my SPS dominate Tank.

Are you dosing daily? Why buffer everything up?

I have a doser on the tank so I'm not as concerned about buffering anything as the tank gets what it needs via the daily dosing regimen.

Back