What is the best way to revive frogspawn?

babyduke

Recently adopted a dying frogspawn from a friend. Out of about 25 heads, only 2 were barely surviving but since I took over, those 2 are looking much healthier and another head has revived and growing. Only things I've done so far is to make sure my water parameter is good and feed my fish frozen brine shrimp right around the frogspawn.

Is there anything else I can do to enhance its health? Also, is there any chance other bare heads to revive?

Time, patience, right flow, right parameters and right light. I think this goes for all corals. Good luck.

Not sure how dipping it would help unless it has pests of some kind.

I got an almost dead frogspawn (10-15 heads, 1-2 alive) about 6 months ago, and just waited. It's almost completely recovered now. I never spot fed or did anything special.

Revive has nothing to do with having pests. It's a coral cleaner and believe me it helps a lot on sickly looking corals.

Time, patience, right flow, right parameters and right light. I think this goes for all corals. Good luck.

+1

I don't think I would result to chemicals either just because a coral looks grumpy. Especially since it seems like it's bouncing back. GL.

So the ones that look completely receded can revive as well?

It can happen. Sometimes there is a little tiny bit of tissue deep inside the skeletal structure and it can sometimes regenerate if conditions are good, especially if others around it are doing well. It's hit or miss.

But if other polyps have been rebounding for a while and a few others have not, and they start to gather a film or algae on the calcium skeleton, it's usually too late.

My opinion on dipping:

IMO it offers no benefits in this case and shouldn't be done unless pests are present or suspected. In the case of a suspected infection, an iodine dip is said to be effective. Certainly can't hurt as a last ditch effort though, but I don't think that's the case here.

Otherwise random dipping is likely to just cause some unneeded stress. Sometime the best approach is to get all the environmental variables right and then just leave it alone.

I'm not familiar with TLF's concept of "cleaning". Indeed they use the term in their advertising & product label. Revive does smell like a janitorial cleaning solution, but I don't really think corals need "cleaning". I have found it to be safe and the little bugs & starfish sure don't like the stuff!

Back