What is this on my Zoanthids?

DSinSoCal

Woke up this morning and saw this what patch on my zoanthid colony. It's soft -- like a spider egg sack or something. I've never seen this before. It wasn't there yesterday.

My guess would be a sponge as well, but these things usually don't show up out of the blue like that though. (especially that size) Maybe it got dislodged from a rock and this is where it came to rest.

Certainly didn't come from a rock. I'm using Reef Cleaners rock and it's clean.

It's the strangest damn thing. Aside from the Reef Cleaners rock, which was 100% clean, I've carefully inspected the few pieces of coral that I've added to the tank and this white stuff didn't exist before this morning. It seriously looks like something laid a larval sack overnight. Are there any critters that can do something like that? Snails? Anything?

It has clearly grown since this morning! Look at those three polyps on the bottom edge. I'm thinking this is not something good...

Attachments

• 20170618_093927.jpg
    20170618_093927.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
After reading several other threads on various sites, I believe this was a fungus of some sort. From my reading, sponges grow around the polyps but don't directly damage them. Whatever was on this rock was dissolving the polyps.

I took the rock out of the tank, broke a few pieces off the clean end of it and then trashed the rest of it. Whatever the white stuff was basically turned to a slimy mucus by the vibration of chiseling through the rock. Definitely not a sponge.

Back