What T5 bulbs enhance SPS coloration in a Radium lit tank?

AcroporAddict

There is no substitute.
I have 4x 400 watt Radiums over my SPS tank right now, and have been playing with the idea of maybe adding some T5s jsut to up the color factor. I like the colors now, but I can't leave well enough alone.

Any suggestions for a brand and color of T5 that would enhance the daylight colors of SPS already under 400 watt radiums?

Would I want a double row of T5s over the length of the tank? I would think a single row of bulbs the tank length might get washed out by the halides. Or is a double row even enough?

I am not looking for anything to do sunrise/sunset with. Just something to up the wow factor of the coral colors.

Given the 20K bluish rendition of the Radiums, I woudn't think blue would be a good choice. But any and all advice is appreciated. Maybe purple rendition T5s.

I was also thinking maybe an LED strip from buildmyled.com.

I want to make sure I buy something strong enough to make a difference in the color if I am going to try anything at all. The light from 4x radiums is pretty strong. Tank is 96" x 40" x 28". Got a radium every two foot of tank length.

Last edited:
I had a tank with 4 x 400 watt Radiums and ran URI VHO Super Actinics for supplementation initially and then I added ReefBrite Blue LEDs. Without a doubt the LEDs gave the colors more "pop" than anything else visually, but super actinic or true actinic did the most to enhance the coral coloration in the long run. Today I run 4 x 150 watt Radiums 8 x ATI True Actinics and 4 x ATI Coral Plus.

LEDRetro.jpg

I currently am running 2 400w Radiums along with 4 T5's. I have 2 ATI blue plus and 2 ATI purple plus. Love the color, but I came from all T5 with blue LED supplementation, and ended up adding the blue LED strip as well for that extra pop.

You might be better off just adding some LEDs if you are looking for enhancement of colors while the MH's are on. You think it is blue with just the radiums, but it really isnt all that blue considering what my eyes were used to for the last 3 years running all T5.

Just wanted to update. I was trying to decide between T5 and T12 VHO, and I ended up buying some T5 retrofits from ReefGeek. Each fixture has two bulbs, and I am putting an ATI Blue + and Purple + bulb in each one.

Going with two 47" fixtures to start, and will add two more if they are needed. The T5s have a greater variety of bulbs available if I want to switch colors around later.

Just wanted to update. I was trying to decide between T5 and T12 VHO, and I ended up buying some T5 retrofits from ReefGeek. Each fixture has two bulbs, and I am putting an ATI Blue + and Purple + bulb in each one.

Going with two 47" fixtures to start, and will add two more if they are needed. The T5s have a greater variety of bulbs available if I want to switch colors around later.

I would say for the colors alone, blue LEDs, even though I'm not a LED fan!

To add quality light to the Radiums, HO T5s, of course!
So, IMO, you've got the best for your system!

I would go with all ATI Blue Plus bulbs, no purple bulbs.
I've heard good things about the Radiums!

Please post a picture here (before/after), when you can.

Grandis.

I would say for the colors alone, blue LEDs, even though I'm not a LED fan!

To add quality light to the Radiums, HO T5s, of course!
So, IMO, you've got the best for your system!

I would go with all ATI Blue Plus bulbs, no purple bulbs.
I've heard good things about the Radiums!

Please post a picture here (before/after), when you can.

Grandis.

I laid out my plans to the ReefGeek staff, and they recommended the one blue+ and one purple+ for SPS color enhancement under Radiums, so I went with that. The Hamilton T5 retrofits I bought also have a line of blue LEDs in them, so a bit of blue in there as well.

One nice option is that I can play with the bulb mix. I am a bit apprehensive about all blues since the Radium presents a bit on the blue side. I figure the blue will help some SPS colors and the purple will help others. ReefGeek substituted ATIs for the Hamilton ones that come with the retrofit, which was great Customer Service from them and something they did not have to do. They could have made me buy the ATI bulbs separately.

ReefGeek is just great!!
Everyone has different tastes, so…
Yes, the could just try to push more bulbs on the invoice. That was a very nice custom service example!
Have fun with the lights!

Grandis.

Back