What type of plastic for water container?

BlackTip

I am expecting 300lb of dry Fiji rock next week. I am going to cure them in my garage for the next 8-10 weeks, until my tank and stand are ready.

I want to use one large container, 100 gallon or so. My thinking is after I use this container for curing the rock, it can be used for emergencies. In case I have a leak or need to evacuate the tank inhabitants. My future tank will be 320g.

So, what type of plastic the container must be made off?

I found this: http://www.agrisupply.com/oval-tank/p/39391/&sid=&eid=/

The drain plug is made of brass. Is it OK? I prefer once piece plastic without drain plug. It is safer.

I've read that people use a baby pool with lots of flow.
I would not use anything that has brass in it.

Thanks, I look at that one, but it has horrible reviews; crack and leaks.

Leaks, yes, you will need to replace the stock bulkheads. As far as cracking, I'm sure the reviews you are reading are from people using them outside!

I have been using a 150 as a sump for 6 years. Its the tank of choice for a lot of basement sumps.

You want to stay away from any metal.

Leaks, yes, you will need to replace the stock bulkheads. As far as cracking, I'm sure the reviews you are reading are from people using them outside!

I have been using a 150 as a sump for 6 years. Its the tank of choice for a lot of basement sumps.

You want to stay away from any metal.

The review I read indicates that recent production crack at the bottom edge. There is a photo of cracked one post on Amazon. People said the older production are good.

Go to your nearest LFS (Local Farm Supply). Any decent farm and lumber should have plastic stock tanks available.

I am currently using 3 of these for my sump. They are 28 gallon Rubbermaid Brutes. Very heavy duty and less than $30 at Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135881-1097-1869452_0__?productId=4462425&Ntt=rubbermaid+storage&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drubbermaid%2Bstorage&facetInfo=

086876220759lg.jpg

I'm also using on these as a tank for my RODI water. 55 Gallons and less than $70 on Amazon.

31sUnmdioBL.jpg

i have heard of people using garbage pails the rubber made brand with a powerhead

Last edited:
I ended up buying the 100G Rubbermaid stock tank mentioned above. Hopefully it won't leak. This tank is huge. I don't know where I am going to store. I don't have much room in the garage.

I ended up buying the 100G Rubbermaid stock tank mentioned above. Hopefully it won't leak. This tank is huge. I don't know where I am going to store. I don't have much room in the garage.

If it's on a level/even surface like your garage floor, and does not freeze [obviously], it should last for years.

Back