What types of Macroalgae or Marine Plants to put in refugium?

iozomatli

I'm thinking of setting up a refugium on the back of my 15 gallon tank. I was wondering what kinds of macroalgae or marine plants are ideal for nutrient export, mainly nitrates. I want those that would do a good job at aborbing nutrients such as nitrates from my main tank. (As I am currently battling a bad case of cyano) I think it's from over feeding. Because I use store bought salt water. Catalina salt water. Use RO water for top off. And salinity in 1.027. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I grow sev species of caulerpa, halameda, Chaetomorpha and Gracilaria tikvahiae, thus far by research and appearance IMO the Chaet and Gracilaria seem to be the safest any easiest to keep...
BTW I believe the Gracilaria tikvahiae is referred to as red tang heaven by some...

I float Chaetomorpha, float Sargassum, and let Gracilaria grow ovet the bottom in the refugia. In the tank I grow anchored sargassum (looks like a brown bush), red Gracilaria, Halimeda and shaving brush for export. Caulerpas are fast growing macros but I would not put them in the display tank because they are difficult to contain.

i was completely unaware that people used sargassum in their reef tanks.....i am a production operator in the gulf of mexico....i have that stuff everywhere at some times during the year...i pull it up all the time and find all kinds of weird stuff....lil seahorses, crabs, "skrimps", ect....

Back