What would you do differently if you started over?

Made4water

Hindsight is always 20/20 especially in a hobby as intricate as ours. If you were to start a new system tomorrow, Based off of your experience with your current setup, what would you do differently this time around?

I'm doing that right now. No more skimping! Using all dry rock, powerwashed. Hopefully will help with all kinds of different algae problems I'm sick of dealing with. LED's, lower cost in the long run. Refugium, sump just does not cut it anymore. There are just so many to list.

Hey, I married a woman with loads of cash. Then we divorced, and she took it all. OH, you mean you'd marry a woman who HERSELF had loads of cash. Nevermind.

I got a better one now, at least. Hell, she even tells me to get a bigger tank! w00t!!

Go big from start. I went with a 40 long and bought all equipment new. Then went to a 80gal. I built the stand and canopy. But still spent a crapload on other stuff for the tank. Now doing a 180 and building the stand and canopy for that too. Most of the time you're lucky to recoup half of what you spent on equipment. If I added up all I've spend on all tanks, I could've have done my 180 with no DIY stuff and still have cash left over.

Change to acrylic sump and different lighting. Would have saved longer for a better skimmer. I would have started with the black sand rather than white sand. I would have done a better job of building the shelving underneath so as to use the space I have better.
And most importantly, would NOT use a scrubber pad to get the coralline off of the glass so I wouldn't have a TON of scratches on the glass.

wish i had went with an 84x33x28" tank. i really dont want to break this tank down and i've only had it running for about 9 months.

On my new set up I want to use kalk and Ca Rx instead of dosing like last time on my 75 gal and I might not do a deep sand bed. I will go with a 2" sand bed.

Save money, buy quality also, plan out every detail, have patience, slower is always better than faster when adding livestock.

I would make sure I fully understood what my goals are. Dont try and mix different environments in one tank or system. If you want SPS to thrive, you have to gear your entire set up towards that. If you want LPS, then you would need to go a slightly different direction as far as flow and nutrient control.

I took me the entire last year to upgrade my system. Now that it is done, the only thing that I second guess myself on is the returns coming over the back of the tank instead of through the back wall. Everything was very well thought out, from the plumbing, to controls, to fail safe's and seperate circuits.

buy quality equipment the first time. You cant afford to have cheap equipment fail, take out all your corals, then buy the right equipment a second time around.

Back