What's better?

Is there a link to show the exact steps to this? Also, when buying uncured over the Internet, does it need to be over nighted?

When I was shopping for it, some of the liverock importers would have step by steps on how to process the rock when you receive it. I personally wouldn't pay to have it over-nighted but many people do. It's hard to justify the expense of over-nighting liverock when you don't know how much effort was taken to preserve the life on the liverock in the first place. But then again the sooner you can get it in the water the better. Maybe there is a shipping option that's more reasonable in pricing but doesn't take a week to arrive.

DId you cure your rock in your tank or a seperate container?

My tank when I first set it up. I used the rock to cycle the tank. I got a clean up crew once cycle was over before any other livestock to deal with the "junk" that died off from the uncured rock. Some of that is inevitable with uncured rock.

+1 on using uncured live rock to setup a new tank. It'll help cycle and you will end up with far more life. Just be careful of the unwanted hitchhikers. I have set up a couple tank this way and been very happy with the biodiversity. I buy Florida rock from my LFS and the amount of life is amazing. I've gotten anywhere from small mushrooms to an urchin. Good luck!

you could also use mostly well cured rock, then cherry pick a couple of loaded uncured pieces to spike the bio-diversity without real hard cycling and dieoff and remaining nutrients.

Back