What's eating my pulsing xenia?

phishcrazee

I used to have several nice clumps of pulsing xenia around my tank. I know some folks consider xenia almost a nuisance, as it spreads so quickly, but I've always enjoyed the pulsing "hands". Anyways, I've noticed over a period of several weeks, that the xenia has been getting "pruned" by something in my tank. It has now been totally eradicated, from what I can tell Here's a list of livestock that I have in my tank:

large creole damsel (has been known to nip GSP in past)
3 stripe damsel
yellow tailed blue damsel
pair of percula clowns
royal gramma
skunk cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
5 scarlet hermits
nassarius snails
astrea snails
nerite snails
queen conch
stomatella snails

I think it may be the creole damsel, but have never caught him, so I'm really not sure. I also have a chocolate chip starfish, but he lives in the sump, so it can't be him. Who do you think is guilty?!

Have you actually seen pieces missing or bites taken, or did areas just melt away/disappear?

I will have plenty of xenia to replace your lost supply when you find the culprit?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7754294#post7754294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Atticus
Damsels will nip at corals. I had a black damsel that used to eat xenia.

Bingo!!! Atticus you hit the nail on the head :) I have a damsel that no one knew exactly what it was, until yesterday when I found out it is an adult Neoglyphidodon melas or Black Damsel (he's actually purple) and guess what? Soft corals are on the menu :(

I just found out my velvet damsel eats zoo's like their candy. All I had left was the glue that was used to mount them.

It's amazing that we are always careful about zoo toxicity and yet a creature so small eats them with no problem. I think damsels are like carp, they can live through almost anything and have a strong stomach.

My yellow damsel nips my pulsing Xenia that much I had to take them back to the LFS. Some threads you read say they don't touch corals but I've sat and watched them do it.

Back