Whats the difference between a colt and kenya tree coral?

oldcrab

here is a pic of what i was told is a colt, sold this tank when I moved 1500 miles so i no longer have this coral but want to get one with same coloring. All I can find is the darker colored ones. Is this a colt or kenya?

kenya.jpg

Thats a loaded question.

Looks like Capnella or Litophyton, which doesnt really answer your question, I know. You need to look at the individual sclerites under magnification to definately ID.

Capnella are the Kenya tree corals, but I have seen the Kenya name applied to a variety of other tree coral families. Colt coral is used as a catch-all for any of the branching soft corals by the hobby in my experience. One genus called colt corals is Litophyton. (by the way it's also called tree coal and cauliflower coral, another catch-all name)

However, from what Ive seen, most of these similar looking soft corals (colt, tree, and cauliflower) are pretty easy to keep with the exception of Dendronepthea (which yours is not). And from the looks of it, you already have a handle on keeping them.

The Genus: Capnella (Kenya tree coral) has many common names such as the kenya ,tree coral,and cauliflower coral. Capnella form samll lobed and arborescent capitate colonies. Small, nonretractile polyps arise from a rounded caplike polypary,with many clustered polyps near the terminal ends of brances or atop lobes. In branching forms,they arise along the length of the termianl brances.

The Genus: Cladiella (Colt Coral) has the common name such as finger leather coral. Cladiella species are similar to Alcyonium, but they usually have shorter-lobed projections. Often encrusting with ver short stalk, colonies look heave and lumpy,especially when in a retracted state at night. Their projections are many,forming roun to cone-shaped masses of projecting lobes.

Hope that helps a little,,knowing they all look so much the same it gets way, way to confusing..lol.. But its a little beauty,,good luck with him/her..lol.

info quote from Eric H. Borneman

Back