Where to ask me chemistry questions

Hi Randy, I have spent several days now reading and studying up on some of your articles, and most recently you have spoken to my wife regarding her Nitrate issue.
Tonight I was reaquascaping to make room for some new additions to my reef and noticed some black algea in my front corner. It looked like mold.
I recently had a beautiful zoa rock that parished and it was in this area of the tank.
Any thoughts?

I need ell with understanding why my Rodi unit is producing water that has .09 ppm phosphates. My tds meter is showing 000, and I have a good reading showing my psi is at 60. Today I let my Rodi unit run for 40 min to let it flush out well, and I will test once more when I get home. I am using red sea and Hanna test kits. I was thinking if letting it run for 40 min doesnt work, do you think I should change the filters? Also I have a spectrapure max.

Hey I have been reading about peroxide dosing and am wondering whether I should use it or not. I have a ton of green hair algae on my rock that I can't get rid of and found some forums about peroxide dosing. I was wondering what other things it would kill if i put it directly in my tank since I have LPS, SPS, and some softies and also have a fuge with macroalgaes. I have a few fish along with a cleaner shrimp, an urchin and other inverts. Will dosing my whole tank hurt anything and if so, would dipping some of the rock in solution outside of the tank be fine? Any information would be great. Thanks.

Hello Randy.

Just re-read the PH-ORP article for the umpteenth time.

Correct me should my line of thinking be off.

Seems as PH rises, ORP goes down.

Should this truly be the case we can use the PH as an indicator as to what the ORP is.

Would this then negate the need for an ORP meter?

Could the reading of the PH then be used to add ozone?

Me thinks this to be correct.

I have been running in the 7.9 to 8.1 range for some time not getting too worked up about not having a high PH.

This patience has led to a system very low in N03 0.0-0.2ppm(Seachem) and P04 0.00-0.03(Hanna).:dance:

Now this only happened due to my indifference to the PH and then discovering your article.

Hardware purchases may need to be examined once again as using one parameter to monitor and control both can be very cost effective.

I do run Bio pellets very successfully with Chaeto fully integrated.

No socks, just a little floss and bag of carbon before return pump chamber.

2.5 system volume turnover.

Cal: 440(API) Alk: 7.4 dKH(Hanna) Mag: 1200(Red Sea Pro)

Now my question: Is using only PH while referring to the above graph adequate to determine ORP in the system?

Thanks,
onecansay

Hi Randy.
I have a question if I may.
'Can I test a test kit'?
What I would like to know is can I make a solution of magnesium chloride in ro water and expect an accurate mg level for testing.
If so would it be better to use g/ltr or use a refractometer and create a solution with say 10‰ salinity?
Also would this work with calcium using calcium chloride etc.
I have googled the question but didn't find what I was looking for!
I come across your post many times and was thinking you're the man to ask!

Randy
Could you comment on your two part alk component parcipating out at lower temps. Say 40 f? Is the saturation point going to be very different? How about the mag component?

My wife is trying to kick my two part outside and I'm a md not a chemist!!
Thanks
Nik

Hi randy ...ive been having an issue for quite some time now and i can figure out whats going on and y ..i am using a calcium reactor to supplement my alk and calcium to my 450 gallon mixed reef (sps heavy)..these are my numbers
alk 8.3
cal 560
mag 1400
Potassium 390
i cant seam to figure out y my calcium is so high.i check every batch of water change water i have done in the past 3 months ,calcium has never been over 450 with the new seawater .i dont dose any other calcium additives .how could i be so unbalnaced from alk to cal ? ..i was using the reborn cal media ,i just switched last week back to carbi sea media .thinking maybe the reborn was maybe higher in cal ,is that possible? I have also measured my alk and cal coming out of my calCium reactor this is what i got
effluent alk 23 dkh (8.20 meq/l)
Effluent cal 760
also i am running a sulfer based denitrator ,im not sure if that has any effect on anything .any advise would help as me and a few local reefers are trying to figure out y my tanks cal would be so high when my alk has been steady .

Back