where to buy 55 gallon plastic drum?

CookieJar

Premium Member
I'm looking to buy a 55 gallon plastic food grade drum to hold top-off water. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get one of these?

Don't know if this is still valid. Found this on the BAR DIY forum.

Originally posted by kmaintl
This guy has 55g drums available from time to time for $5 and is great for storage. You can drill and use bulkheads as it is similar material to the 300g Natural Seawater towers that are used in LFS. Call Lawrence and see if he has any. Most of his drums were housing white vinegar, so all you need to do is rinse in warm water and they're ready to go.

Lawrence Ames
1201 Montgomery Ave
San Bruno CA 94066
M-F 9-5, closed weekends
650-553-9327
lca@gwsfoods.com

I got a couple from the San Bruno shop a while back. I wasn't happy with the residue in either one even after multiple scrubbings and rinsings. I had to saw the top off one of them which took forever. I found it way simpler to just pay the extra $30 and buy a 45 g Brute garbage can that I know is NSF and clean.

residue?? Did you get the blue one or white one? To cut the top, use the circular saw. Take about 10-15 minutes to cut the top.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9858109#post9858109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
residue?? Did you get the blue one or white one? To cut the top, use the circular saw. Take about 10-15 minutes to cut the top.

I got 2 blue ones. They had a stickiness inside that I couldn't get rid of. No way I was putting that near my tank.

you shouldn't get that. Blue one was used for soysauce. You should pick up the white one, which was used for vinegar. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9858417#post9858417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
you shouldn't get that. Blue one was used for soysauce. You should pick up the white one, which was used for vinegar. :D

:lol:

I'd think soy sauce would rinse off with some hot water... :confused: Guess not.

I stopped by the guy in North San Jose, he had a backyard full of 55 gallon & bigger drums- said they're all from food storage. For $25 the price is right, the problem is they're 24" in diameter and don't fit into the available space. Argh! It's on to looking for garbage cans that will fit in an 18" x 24" space, hopefully they're ok to use and they won't bow too much when filled with water.
The smaller size is 30 gallons, which is smaller than I'd want for water changes. I wish there were 40 and 45 drums to choose from, oh well, off to Lowes for garbage can hunting. :)

Brute trash cans are food grade and do not bow when filled to the max, also Lowes and HD should carry them, I use 2 44g brutes one for topoff and the other wc's

I've been using Rubbermaid Brute cans for years without any negative effect. But I like that food grade white vinegar 55g drums idea as should be really simple to rinse in warm water and just start using it. $5 is dirt cheap! I guess there's something cheap in the Bay Area, since nothing else really is. :lol:

Back