Where to buy INTERESTING tank raised fish?

SillyDox

I am new to the hobby and I have been thinking a lot about where I will source my livestock. I would like to buy tank raised but haven't had much luck in finding any interesting fish.

Does anyone have any tips?

Those of you who don't buy tank raised, do you give back in any way to minimize impact? I'm just trying to figure this part out so it doesn't weigh on my conscience!

Thank you.

Sent from my htc_m8 using Tapatalk

. . . Those of you who don't buy tank raised, do you give back in any way to minimize impact? I'm just trying to figure this part out so it doesn't weigh on my conscience!

Thank you. . . .

Quoting form a UN report* "Aquarium animals are the highest value-added product that can be harvested sustainably from coral reefs, so collecting and exporting marine ornamentals in developing countries creates jobs in rural, low-income, coastal areas where resources and alternative options for generating income can be limited. Aquarium fisheries therefore have the potential to provide an alternative economic activity for coastal populations, an important source of foreign exchange for national economies and a strong economic incentive for the sustainable management of reefs. They may also help foster marine conservation by providing a strong incentive for subsistence fishers to harvest wild populations sustainably so as to maintain fish stocks and reef environments in good condition."

A good example of how hyperbole from extremists has skewed public perception is the collection of Yellow Tangs in Hawai'i. Some would have us believe we are over collecting Yellow Tangs and need to stop all collection when data from research conducted for the last 18 years, overseen and funded by NOAA, shows they are more abundant than ever. In 2014 the Yellow Tang YOY (Young Of the Year) was 390% above the previous 15 years. One of the incongruities, and concerns, from the research is the data showing how Yellow Tangs are outcompeting other species like the highly prized Achilles Tang which is more numerous in the areas it is allowed to be collected than in the protected marine sanctuaries where niether it or Yellow Tangs can be collected.

I do encourage getting maricultured and aquacultured. It is a very good way to support the effort to have sustainable sources for our animals. There are increasing numbers of fish available, notably the aformentioned Yellow Tang has now been successfully raised, and it shouldn't be too hard to find species. LiveAquaria is one site that will have a selection available.

*http://www.unep.org/PDF/From_Ocean_To_Aquarium_report.pdf

Last edited:
Off the top of my head you most clowns, dottybacks, blennies, Cardinal fish, dragonettes, some damsels & basslets are commercially available.

It boils down to personal choice, but buying from a sustainable fishery, especially juvenile fish, which often spawn in huge numbers & most are eaten anyway, does not harm the reef. Creating a job is a good thing.

It could be argued that eating a tuna sub is more harmful to the ocean.

I am new to the hobby and I have been thinking a lot about where I will source my livestock. I would like to buy tank raised but haven't had much luck in finding any interesting fish.

Does anyone have any tips?

Those of you who don't buy tank raised, do you give back in any way to minimize impact? I'm just trying to figure this part out so it doesn't weigh on my conscience!

Thank you.

We are in the same boat. ORA and Sustainable Aquatics have some but you're right, they aren't the super pretty interesting fish that we dreamed of putting in our tanks when we decided to get into the hobby, right? I have a hard time rationalizing taking a fish out of its natural environment for my own enjoyment...for some reason corals don't worry me so much, I guess because they don't seem to be thinking, salient beings. ANYWAY...just thought I'd let you know you aren't the only one.

My solution is to stock captive bred and/or tank raised that I can, and focus on coral. It's more beautiful, anyway :)

Cindy,

I talked it over with my boyfriend and we decided that we would contemplate buying "used" fish from private sellers who are either getting rid of said fish or breaking their tank down. In this way, at least in my head, it's similar to adopting a cat or a dog rather than having them bred just for me.

I didn't anticipate this moral dilemma but I appreciate everyone's comments on how they deal!

SillyDox, that seems like a good compromise. I hope you don't mind if I "adopt" it? Cindy

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Not at all! Adopt away haha. Now I just need to find a fish to adopt

My feeling is, whether you buy aquacultured or wild fish, provide them with an appropriate size tank and good care. If they have a long healthy life, we aren't taking fish out of the ocean only to die in weeks. I try to buy captive bred when I can, and for my reptiles I only have captive bred (which is easier than for marine fish!).

I have an ORA white spot filefish. Reef safe and very interesting. its acts like a leaf when threatened and likes to tumble in the powerhead current.

Back