Where to buy liverock?

TURKLET0N

Im looking for opinions from people who have actually purchased liverock that have opinions on where the best place to buy it is. I would like to buy it locally. Any information would be appreciated.

Does anyone have experience with FAOIS live rock or TBSaltwater.com? Please expand on your experience good or bad.

Does anyone have experience with FAOIS live rock or TBSaltwater.com? Please expand on your experience good or bad.

TB saltwater is awesome, and since you're local you can save on shipping, which is nice. There is the potential for some bad hitchhikers, but I never had any issues. The rock has an incredible amount of life on it.

I bought from Gulf Live Rock, good price, fast shipping, I did have some issues with Macro Algae, but the rock was very nice and encrusted with Coralline. There are always hitch-hikers with live rock, luckily nothing bad in my case but its the chance you take no matter where you get it from.

I'm going dey rock this next time round. Too many hitchikers, some good, many bad. Every case is different, but the extra work I had to go through for it, i'd assume pass. Just my .02 cents.
If i did go liverock again, it'd be from TBS. not any other local liverock retailer.

The variety of life I had in my tbs rock is something I miss in my current tank. You do get the bad with the good, but I feel that in a new aquarium the bad is easy enough to deal with. In an established aquarium it could be tough.

The variety of life I had in my tbs rock is something I miss in my current tank. You do get the bad with the good, but I feel that in a new aquarium the bad is easy enough to deal with. In an established aquarium it could be tough.

What do you have to do to fix the "bad" stuff on liverock? Do you just need to look and take some critters out of the rock from time to time?

What do you have to do to fix the "bad" stuff on liverock? Do you just need to look and take some critters out of the rock from time to time?

In my case I had to manually remove a lot of limpits who started grazing on my SPS. And very early on the rock was over grown with all types of Macro Algae, I just kept trimming until it got to a manageable level.

The only really bad thing id say is gorilla crabs. Somewhat easily caught with bottle traps tho. But my porcupine puffer likes them as snacks so i never had to worry. I have both faois rock and tampa bay saltwater rock. My faois rock had 2 aptasia on it (id say aptasia is worse than gorilla crabs if left un treated) it was cured well and the cycle only lasted 6 days. Also had no hitchhikers on it except the aptasia. Tampa bay saltwater rock has no equal comparison. It is exploding with life. Coraline, sponges, feather dusters, barnacles, porcelain crabs, gorilla crabs, hermit crabs, various snails, cup corals, pistol shrimp. And florida rock doesnt have aptasia at all. There is some other type of anemone that is similar to aptasia but larger and non invasive. I have 2 in my predator tank and they were there 3 years ago when i bought the rock. They are actually really nice looking so i never killed them. Ive yet to go into a fish store and find rock remotely comparable to tampa bay saltwaters rock. But like other have said it comes with both good and sometimes bad hitchhikers. Nothing a simple trap and some patience cant handle tho.

MY TBS came in with a pistol shrimp - we thought it was cool, but my buddy's came with two and his wife hates "the clicky shrimp"

MY TBS came in with a pistol shrimp - we thought it was cool, but my buddy's came with two and his wife hates "the clicky shrimp"
I liked the clicks. Then again so did my puffer fish lol the pistol shrimp was kinda neat looking, only seen him poke his head out a few times tho

Yeah... Clicks.:fun2:
If I can ever catch the ever so elusive mantis I have, he's free to good home. I've failed on every level trying to capture him. I've had him in the net and somehow he bolts out.:uhoh3: Fast like lightning and smart. Pistols we're everywhere on my liverock too. Had a few aiptasia and one was persistent on regrowing after every nuke attack. But, like the gorrilla crabs they're gone now. I do love the sponge growth and cup corals and chicken livers, tunicates I had. Get used to having a bottle trap for a bit.;)

About 12 years ago my friend and I got Florida Live rock from Rocknreef from Tom's back yard shop. Both tanks wound up with a mantis shrimps.
You never know what your going to get.

Back