where to rehome vlamingi

criticalencore

If this is the wrong section someone please move it.

so about 4 yes ago I picked up a juvenile vlamingi tang. I had a 135g at the time was aware of the size they reach but figured I'd just go bigger in a year or so when he got a little bigger. I feed a lot and he got big very fast. I did however keep with my promise to go bigger and built a 500+g plywood tank (4'x8'x 28.5" tall) bit II'mwworried he will be outgrowing this one too soon. He is about 13" long or so right now and very thick. I haven't seen him attack anything but lately had a couple fish jump and someone beat up my powder blue. I was going to try to sell him but I want it to go somewhere reasonable close (I'm in Wilmington nc) so I don't have to try to ship him and I want it to go to a 1000+g tank minimum... I called the local aquarium but they only take NC native fish so I plan on contacting the georgia aquarium or maybe Ripleys aquarium.
anyways what do you do when a monster fish outgrows what you thought was your somewhat monster tank?

If this is the wrong section someone please move it.

so about 4 yes ago I picked up a juvenile vlamingi tang. I had a 135g at the time was aware of the size they reach but figured I'd just go bigger in a year or so when he got a little bigger. I feed a lot and he got big very fast. I did however keep with my promise to go bigger and built a 500+g plywood tank (4'x8'x 28.5" tall) bit II'mwworried he will be outgrowing this one too soon. He is about 13" long or so right now and very thick. I haven't seen him attack anything but lately had a couple fish jump and someone beat up my powder blue. I was going to try to sell him but I want it to go somewhere reasonable close (I'm in Wilmington nc) so I don't have to try to ship him and I want it to go to a 1000+g tank minimum... I called the local aquarium but they only take NC native fish so I plan on contacting the georgia aquarium or maybe Ripleys aquarium.
anyways what do you do when a monster fish outgrows what you thought was your somewhat monster tank?

Where are you located?

Mine is about 15 inches long in my 400 gallon. He had slowed his growth at this size in this environment in the last 1.5 years. I have never had him get aggressive with the other fish....although he and the Emperator do go head-to-head at times. He has never shown aggressive behavior towards the other tangs in my tank. He may stabilize to a slower growth in his current environment.

However...you do need a long term plan for these. Mine has a longer term home at the Oklahoma Aquarium if he outgrows his home. They have another one in their quarantine facility.

Mine is about 15 inches long in my 400 gallon. He had slowed his growth at this size in this environment in the last 1.5 years. I have never had him get aggressive with the other fish....although he and the Emperator do go head-to-head at times. He has never shown aggressive behavior towards the other tangs in my tank. He may stabilize to a slower growth in his current environment.

However...you do need a long term plan for these. Mine has a longer term home at the Oklahoma Aquarium if he outgrows his home. They have another one in their quarantine facility.
Turns out he messes with the orange shoulder a little but not much. He has been with all the other fish for several years with no problems.. however the yellow blotched rabbit fish I bought about 5 months ago at 2.5" is now 8" and seem to be the "bad egg". He is chasing my scribbled and I believe him to be the problem fish with the aggression to others needed a weekend off to actually be able to watch the tank.. no aquariums semi local are interested in him but I think I found him a home an hour or so away... now I just have to catch it... the vlamingii still has some time left in my tank but still looking him a permanent home

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes fish do change behavior, and not for the better. If you can get him to take some large food (like krill or pieces of squid) from your hand...you can distract him and net him (big net of course). I've used that technique in the past.

Back