Where to start? Acquired a BioCube 14G already up and running but kinda messy

Buercky

Hi all,

Been reading and researching a ton and wondering if i could get some suggestions on where to begin to clean up a 14G BioCube that was left in our dept. when the owner moved. It has a bunch of hair algae, bubble algae, brown algae, and there are red streaks in the sand.

Just ordered a water test kit to see what the water is like.

I did order some snails, hermit crabs and an emerald crab to start as a cleanup crew.

In the back chambers there is:

#1 Protein skimmer

#2 BioBalls and some rock

#3 Pump and a sponge

The filter cartridge is slid into chamber 3 I'm not sure why but even with the protein skimmer out it will not sit flush with the front intakes.

It has been running with a clown fish (dept. mascot) in it as long as I can remember (3 years) so whatever I do to it I cannot kill the fish

I know this will take time and is not something that can happen over night or over a week.

I started with removing a couple pieces of the rock, out into a bucket with the first water change I did. Now what to do with those rocks? can they sit in there for quite a while or should I dry them out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Attachments

• 20160706_124144.jpg
    20160706_124144.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
You can do a peroxide dip to kill whatever algae is on the rock and scrub them well..
Water changes to reduce nitrates/phosphates..
some snails/crabs to keep it clean..

You can probably treat the alge. I would replace the sand though and slowly replace all the water if you haven't done it yet. If there,s live rock I would suggest cleaning it and slowly just scrub the tank inside and out.

Back