Which diameter in the tank?

craventos

Congratulations for your article Gregory!
I want to set up a saltwater aquarium of about 70 g and I don't know how regulate the flow between the tank and the sump! Which diameter do I have to hole the tank? Which pump does I have to put in the sump? How many times does I have to filter saltwater in the sump per hour?

Lot's of thanks!

Re: Which diameter in the tank?

...I don't know how regulate the flow between the tank and the sump! Which diameter do I have to hole the tank?
Generally speaking the bigger the drain the better. The bigger it is the more efficient it will be and the less chance of flooding or noise problems you will have. You want to regulate the flow by the size of the pump you use, not by the drain. The drain should always be able to handle more than your pump can put out.

Which pump does I have to put in the sump?
Not sure what you mean by this.

How many times does I have to filter saltwater in the sump per hour?
There's no hard and fast rule on that, and I have never seen any rule of thumb either. It depends on the type of tank and filtration you are using, whether or not you are also using closed loop type circulation in addition, etc. You need to move the water at least fast enough to remove the scum from the surface of the water, and to provide enough flow to keep your equipment (such as heaters, chillers, skimmers) working efficiently. For example, if the water isn't passing the heater often enough, it won't be able to keep the water warm enough.

Personally, I use a lot of flow through my sump because I run a low nutrient, bare bottom system which follows the philosophy that you need to remove the detritus from the main tank as quickly as possible. The higher flow through the sump the faster the detritus is removed. I've had a lot of success with this methodology - and it's a whole lot less work than others I've tried. I'm running about 2000 gph through my current sump.

For more info on the system I described above, check out this thread. I warn you though, it is very detailed.

Lots of thanks!

Can u help me with little calculator from Fishkeeping magazine?

Pond liner calculator
Enter the maximum dimensions of your pond, select the measure from the drop down menu and enter the cost per square metre or foot.

Pond size L W D inches feet metres cm
Liner pence per sqft
Underlay pence per sqft
Overlap size 6"/15cm 12"/30cm 18"/45cm

What does mean liner and underlay?

Thanks again!

Sorry, I have no experience with that one. Can you post a link to the article that you are referring too?

Greg, dont worry, thanks. It's not a good calculator for my objective. I have put a thread in New to hobby, if u can read it and refly i would be very pleased. Thanks!

Back