Which LFS would you recommend in the SFV?

tmplge

Premium Member
Are there any LFS in the San Fernando Valley or neighboring cities that you'd recommend. Seems like every LFS I go into has diseased fish and/or coral.

None around the San Fernando valley that are pest free, or none that I know of at the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden State Corals
Unique Corals
Vivid Aquariums
Deep Blue (NoHo)
Honestly, I would treat all LFS as having disease or pests unless they are actively treating and QT their livestock in separate systems, which they usually don't because it's cost prohibitive. If you want disease free fish, then you'll have to pay extra for that service and I can only think of two reliable people that offer that service, Adam of Ocean DevotionLA (who I've bought fish from and will again) and Elliot of Marine Collectors.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check out Golden State, Unique and Deep Blue. I hadn't stepped foot into an LFS in about 3 years. Boy was I in for a surprise. Prices have gone up drastically across the board. And no more live rock lol.

The 3 most popular LFS in the valley all had bacteria and parasite issue with livestock. I was dumbfounded with 1 particular LFS in Pacoima who used to have a nice selection years ago.

Thanks for the tips.

what about aquarium city?

I've been keeping an eye on their inventory. Theirs's were the best of the lot but definitely had health issues. I think I'm going to wait.

I did find a nice little place called Hole In The Wall Fish Store which was the best of the bunch. Small but had the healthiest fish.

I've been in Hole in the wall, it's a nice little store, just wish they had a better variety. They have all the fish you don't want in a community reef.
Also, Pet Supreme in Sylmar can surprise you sometimes, but it's gone downhill in the past year or so.

I'm in Lake Balboa/Van Nuys. I agree with minus9 that we should QT everything and assume the worst to be as safe as possible even regardless of who it comes from. I have a tank full of aiptasia to prove this. LOL

I've been to Hold In The Wall as well and try to support small business whenever I can. I started visiting Pet Supreme late last year and usually stock up on stuff when they have sales. Yes, the are deals once in a while. I was eyeing a red scoly that was there for months priced at $100. I believe someone picked it up during the December sale with 20% off. I probably would've killed it so I'm glad someone got before I spent my money on it.

I'm in Lake Balboa/Van Nuys. I agree with minus9 that we should QT everything and assume the worst to be as safe as possible even regardless of who it comes from. I have a tank full of aiptasia to prove this. LOL

I've been to Hold In The Wall as well and try to support small business whenever I can. I started visiting Pet Supreme late last year and usually stock up on stuff when they have sales. Yes, the are deals once in a while. I was eyeing a red scoly that was there for months priced at $100. I believe someone picked it up during the December sale with 20% off. I probably would've killed it so I'm glad someone got before I spent my money on it.

Yah I live in pacoima, hole in the wall has went through a lot of changes in the last 6 months (if you haven't rechecked it out maybe it'll be worth it) he is mainly a aquarium service but definitely stepping up his LFS, as for pet supreme, they had a guy maintaining there tanks 3 times a week but I believe he has stopped coming in the last 6 months so there tanks have taken a turn, rainbow has a good variety as they bring in new stock weekly, and deep blue has the most variety of corals but also struggle with issues.

Yah I live in pacoima, hole in the wall has went through a lot of changes in the last 6 months (if you haven't rechecked it out maybe it'll be worth it) he is mainly a aquarium service but definitely stepping up his LFS, as for pet supreme, they had a guy maintaining there tanks 3 times a week but I believe he has stopped coming in the last 6 months so there tanks have taken a turn, rainbow has a good variety as they bring in new stock weekly, and deep blue has the most variety of corals but also struggle with issues.

I went into HITW last week and looks ok. I like that he dips his coral. You're right definitely a limited selection. I render when deep blue firth opened, got my first tub blue zoas there

I've been in Hole in the wall, it's a nice little store, just wish they had a better variety. They have all the fish you don't want in a community reef.
Also, Pet Supreme in Sylmar can surprise you sometimes, but it's gone downhill in the past year or so.

Haha that's what I thought when I walked in. I, likely going to limit my tank to a pair of clown and a small blenny. Might even try a ORA mandarin in a year or two.

I finished up my rocks cape a month back and turned out pretty nice. Got a lot of awesome negative space with platforms for zoas. I used superglue + sand and it was great.

Nice! If you want to source fish and QT them yourself or have someone QT them for you, I would highly recommend Adam (ocean devotion LA). He orders from ORA and goes to wholesale and hand picks fish for you and his prices are great. I've bought several fish from him and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. Pm me and I'll give you his info if you like?

Back